Author Topic: slidebox popup message saying,"virus database has been updated"  (Read 3430 times)

Dimbulb

slidebox popup message saying,"virus database has been updated"
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:20:22 PM »
While trying to download a video clip (like an idiot) I allowed a program called "internet defender" to download. I think it conflicted with avast anti virus, so in add/remove I tried to remove it but was unable to do so. So, in the help index I discovered that I could restore my pc to an earlier date... which I did and the "internet defender" appeared to be gone. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't seen/heard the slide box  popup window from avast saying, "Virus database has been updated" since the problem with "internet defender". I ran the avast virus scan and the alarm went off 3 times; it showed malware entitled 'internet defender' and prompted me to put it in the chest , which I did. I have the settings in the avast antivirus to update automatically, but I haven't seen the popup message, "virus database has been updated". Everything else in my pc seems to be running ok, I just miss the popup message from avast: it was re-assuring. So I guess my question is... Do they still send out that message when they update the virus database? Should I be concerned that I'm not getting it? I have an IBM flatbed with windows xp. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: slidebox popup message saying,"virus database has been updated"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:48:20 PM »
Do they still send out that message when they update the virus database?
Depends on your settings.
Program Settings > Update (Basic) > Details.

Should I be concerned that I'm not getting it?
Is it updated?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: slidebox popup message saying,"virus database has been updated"
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
Try a scan with Spybot Search & Destroy to check that anti-virus has not been disabled.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog