Author Topic: Keeps telling me virus definitions update available but not installing it  (Read 2645 times)

Offline blebnevus.avast

I'm running the latest version (ver. 23.8.6078) and of course have enabled automatic updates.  Today I got a notification that I'm "unprotected" because a newer virus definition update is available.  I clicked on "check for updates" and after a very long delay, it informed me that a new update is available, giving me only the option to again click on "check for updates."  So either it's refusing to download these updates (either automatically or manually) or it's falsely reporting that it hasn't done so when it actually has.  I restarted my system only to face the same warning and inescapable loop.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Keeps telling me virus definitions update available but not installing it
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 12:22:52 AM »
Are you trying this from the Tray Icon > Right Click > Update > Virus definitions or from the notification/alert that it is out of date  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline blebnevus.avast

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 12:55:45 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  The tray icon option just opens the same Settings/Updates page as clicking the alert.  And it produces the same (lack of) result.
BTW, I also tried Uninstall -->Repair, and I was informed afterwards that the program had been repaired.  But it didn't solve the problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 02:22:10 AM »
What virus definitions version do you have  ?

Mine was reporting 230905-4 I have just done a manual check and it is saying I'm up to date with Virus Definitions version 230905-6.
It actually took longer than I remember to do this check and update with the Green bar sweeping back and forth. I though it might be failing but it did complete.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline blebnevus.avast

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 03:59:17 AM »
When I right-click on the tray icon and go to "About," it says I have definition version 230829-4.  But the update page just keeps telling me that this version is "available."  This leads me to think that the program is updating but somehow doesn't record the update and therefore warns me that I'm not protected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 11:10:19 AM »
Something else you can check, aside from the regular definition updates there are the streaming updates, very regular but small virus definition updates.

Are you getting any of those  ?
Check the C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs they would have sub-folders with numeric date value and _stream.

Since this happened has there been any other changes to your system ?

Offline blebnevus.avast

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 02:38:29 PM »
@DavidR    Yes, the streaming updates are up to date, with new ones downloaded this morning. So does this offer a hint about what's going on and how to fix it?

No changes to my system that might explain the problem.  On the other hand, the fact that no one else has chimed in to say "Me too!" suggests that the problem is on my side...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 04:34:47 PM »
My problem is I don't use the Avast One product, so I'm not familiar with its different settings/functions.
So it is at least showing that some form of virus definitions update is possible (and you aren't hanging in the wind).
I was wondering if there wasn't something on your system blocking/interfering with it.

When did this start, e.g. was it after a recent Program Update  ?

What Avast Program are you using, Avast One Essentials (Free) or Avast One Premium ?

It might be worth backing up your settings Menu > Settings > Troubleshooting > Backup Settings (this is for Avast Free not Avast One, so this may differ).
Uninstall Avast, restart system, reinstall Avast and restore the settings.

Offline blebnevus.avast

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 05:21:33 PM »
O.P. here, with an update:  I have another computer, also Windows 10 and also running Avast Essential, which has not experienced this problem. Today I saw that a new version of the program is available, which is what I'd been waiting for on the first computer.  My hope was that the issue I posted about would clear up when the program was updated.  But on that computer, there is no notification of a program update - and when I try to manually update, it says there is no update available.

To recap:  It's warning me that the virus definitions haven't been updated (even though they have been, and continue to be), and it's telling me there's no new program version available (even though there is).

I'm starting to think I may have to reinstall the whole program on that computer, but I thought I'd try once more to see if anyone can figure out what's going on and how I can fix it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 06:14:50 PM »
First with all of the recent updates (mostly program update) and for the Avast Antivirus Free (not Avast One), some have suggested that it need a system restart twice.

So I would start with a system restart and check the About Avast and see if anything there has changed, possibly a program update being available.
If not you could try an Avast Repair, I don't know if/where that is/if available the Avast One Essential.  If you find it try it and follow that with another system restart.

If you can't find the Avast Repair in the UI, it is also in the Windows Control Panel, Uninstall a Program, Selecting Avast One, it should give a choice 'Advanced Tools' where there is an option to Repair, this opens the AvastUI and gives 3 options - Update App - Repair App - Customize.  I have no idea if this is available in Avast One, but be prepared to back out rather than proceed in the dark.

Before doing anything drastic, backup your Avast Settings, so they can be restored, this was in the Troubleshooting section of Avast Antivirus (where it may be in Avast One is beyond my knowledge).  One of the major things that stopped me even trying Avast One is its lack of configurability (compared to Avast Antivirus Free), yes it has more components, but for me configurability is King.

Offline blebnevus.avast

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2023, 06:30:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  As per my earlier posts, I did restart the system and also tried the Repair option.  No luck.

And I saved my settings in the expectation I'd have to reinstall the whole program.  I hope it will be obvious how to import those saved settings the next time around.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 08:00:57 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  As per my earlier posts, I did restart the system and also tried the Repair option.  No luck.

And I saved my settings in the expectation I'd have to reinstall the whole program.  I hope it will be obvious how to import those saved settings the next time around.

If you have been able to Backup the settings, there should be an Restore settings in the same location (at least there is on Avast Free), but where they were saved to would be the question.