Author Topic: Diablo 4 blocked by Avast  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Mands2

Diablo 4 blocked by Avast
« on: January 02, 2024, 05:09:24 PM »
As the title says, gaming is being blocked by Avast, Diablo 4.( Diablo 4 retail.exe is running but game never opens)

Even after setting it as an allowed application I need to disable avast so that the game can be able to start.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Diablo 4 blocked by Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 05:27:27 PM »
A screenshot of the Avast Alert window with the Details option selected might help.

I have to say the executable file name looks very strange Diablo 4 retail.exe why it wouldn't be something like Diablo4.exe - is it phoning home to ensure you have a paid version ?

Attaching Images to your post - When you Click the Reply button it opens a text window for you to post your comment (reply or post).
Click the Preview button, that shows what you have input and expands it to include 'Attachments and other options'. Click that it further expands, here you can attach images, etc. at the bottom of your post.
See my attached image, click to expand.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mands2

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 06:39:01 PM »
A screenshot of the Avast Alert window with the Details option selected might help.

I have to say the executable file name looks very strange Diablo 4 retail.exe why it wouldn't be something like Diablo4.exe - is it phoning home to ensure you have a paid version ?

Attaching Images to your post - When you Click the Reply button it opens a text window for you to post your comment (reply or post).
Click the Preview button, that shows what you have input and expands it to include 'Attachments and other options'. Click that it further expands, here you can attach images, etc. at the bottom of your post.
See my attached image, click to expand.

I get no alerts from Avast but i'm sure it is blocking the game because it only opens when I disable it.]

Yes I have paid original steam version of the game.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 08:42:26 PM »
What Avast Program are using and what version/build is it  ?

Is this program listed in the Avast Firewall Component (if installed)  ?
Check the Firewall Rules Image 1 and see if there is anything listed there, relating to Diablo 4.

Is the Network Inspector, set as Private or Public (if set to Public that could prevent Diablo 4 connecting)  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mands2

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 10:27:22 PM »
What Avast Program are using and what version/build is it  ?

Check the Firewall Rules Image 1 and see if there is anything listed there, relating to Diablo 4.

Is the Network Inspector, set as Private or Public (if set to Public that could prevent Diablo 4 connecting)  ?

I don't have avast firewall as attached

About Networkd inspector, nothing is activated there.

I found someone with same problem on steam forum!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 11:01:46 PM »
I'm not sure if the Network Inspector is present (or not) if you have done a custom installation and not installed the Avast Firewall.

Other than this I'm at a loss as to what the conflict might be I don't use Diablo 4 as I don't use it. 
So I can't really test why there is some conflict as an Avast User like yourself.

You could try disabling the Web Shield and see if you get a connection.  That is the only Shield, component that has in Internet Scanning function.  Ordinarily I would expect an Alert message rather than an inability to connect.

Your Screenshot_5 doesn't give much information as to what may be the conflict is there any more information other than what is in the screenshot at the website  ?

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 11:04:51 PM »

About Network inspector, nothing is activated there.

Go to Menu -> Settings -> Protection -> Network Inspector. Under "List of Monitored Networks" it will say if it's Public or Private. You can also do this from Windows settings -> Network and Internet and it'll show the network status of the network you're currently connected to.

I don't know if the Public/Private distinction is having an effect on you or causing this issue with Diablo 4, but if you want to know what your network settings are and/or how Avast is reading it, those are the ways to do it.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 11:19:34 PM »
Which is essentially what I told Mands2 in Reply #3

<snip>

Offline Des1

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 07:21:34 PM »
Just installing the Avast Firewall fixed this issue for me.

Offline Wizzzzard

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 12:41:16 PM »
I'm also having this issue with Avast blocking the game.

I haven't played Diablo IV in a 4-5 months but I never had an issue before. If I disable shields the game loads instantly, if I don't disable the shields the game never loads.

With the game stuck not loading, if I disable the shields during this time then the game immediately loads. This is 100% an issue with Avast.

I have even added Diablo IV Launcher.exe and Diablo IV.exe an the Diablo IV folder to the exceptions list but it made no difference.

I'm using the free version of Avast with none of the addons installed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 12:52:49 PM by Wizzzzard »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 01:02:54 PM »
1.  Did you try uninstalling the Firewall which resolved the issue for the Original Poster ?

2.  Disabling All Shields isn't going to pin down the area.

3.  All of the previous question would also be relevant to you.

4.  You don't give any information about the Avast Programs version & build number you have installed.

Offline Wizzzzard

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 01:35:40 PM »
I see no update from the Original Poster that they had resolved the issue! The only post was from Des1 and he fixed the issue by installing the firewall.

After playing with settings and all the fixes I could find on the internet, including installing the firewall I received a notification to restart. Upon restarting Avast updated and the game now loads properly. I then disabled the firewall and it's still loading. Now, If only I could uninstall the firewall but there does not appear to be an option to do so. I have selected ignore the issue so that the Avast icon no longer had a red X on it.

Perhaps installing the firewall prompted an update.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 01:38:50 PM by Wizzzzard »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 02:58:19 PM »
The Firewall should be the same as other components in Avast Antivirus (probably not Avast One) for Windows.

Programs and Features (Add Remove Programs) > Avast Antivirus > Modify - that should show the components. Deselect the Firewall and select Change.  A restart would be required to complete this.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 07:40:10 PM »
Just a fyi:  Anytime a firewall setting change is made, best to reboot or restart your system.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline Wizzzzard

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 08:35:50 AM »
Update: When I tried to start the game today it again wouldn't load and I then had to re-enable the firewall and reboot in order for the game to load.

Thanks for the info and help guys

Update 2: It only loaded the first time, I have had to go back to disabling the Avast shields again in order for the game to load. :/

This is so dodgy.

Update: Just over a week after I posted this, Avast stopped blocking Diablo IV from loading.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 09:25:53 AM by Wizzzzard »