Author Topic: Un-scannable files  (Read 9110 times)

Ger van Wijk

Re: Un-scannable files
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 12:10:35 PM »
Hello,

I have the same problems. If i scan the complete c disks i get the message that everthinh could not be scannend because of passwords.

I alraedy have sent a mail to avast , they that its normal and that i don,t have to worry about that.

But I,m still not sure. If the files can,tbe scanned, than how do I know that i dont have virusses?

Kind regards

Ger

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.
There are many legitimate reasons why a file was password protected. It's really nothing to worry about - it's normal. When (if it happen) the files are unpacked/unencrypted by the original program, they would be scanned by avast.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it). Do you use any other security based programs ?

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
The best things in life are free.

philly12

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 07:38:04 AM »
Vista Users:just thought i'd add some imput. 

Avast! would not scan a lot of my files as well, but I remedied this by right-clicking the avast! icon, hitting properties, hitting compatibility tab, and checking the box to run program as administrator.  This brought my unscannable files down from hundreds to three :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 06:04:25 PM »
Avast! would not scan a lot of my files as well, but I remedied this by right-clicking the avast! icon, hitting properties, hitting compatibility tab, and checking the box to run program as administrator.  This brought my unscannable files down from hundreds to three :D
When you start avast, UAC will ask for superior privileges... Did you disable UAC in your computer?

philly12

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »
yep sure did...its a pain

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 08:57:10 PM »
yep sure did...its a pain
It's a security feature. Better than having to downgrade privileges with DropMyRights as in XP. Malware needs admin access to harm your computer deeply.