Author Topic: Antivirus Blocking files - Emmanuel Katto  (Read 807 times)

Offline Emmanuel Katto

Antivirus Blocking files - Emmanuel Katto
« on: June 18, 2024, 11:35:38 AM »
Hi all, I am Emmanuel Katto from Uganda. I'm having some issues with Avast Antivirus detecting and blocking certain files on my computer. Specifically, I've noticed that it's flagging some legitimate programs as malware, which is causing problems for me.

I've tried updating Avast to the latest version, but the issue is still same. I've also tried excluding the files and folders in question from the scan, but that doesn't seem to work either. Can someone tell me why Avast is flagging this file, even though it's not reported as malicious online.

Thanks!
Emmanuel Katto

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Antivirus Blocking files - Emmanuel Katto
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 12:13:12 PM »
There is little to work with here, not knowing what the files are or why Avast is alerting on them.

Updating the virus definitions us very unlikely to change the circumstances.  Only if someone had reported them to Avast as a possible false positive and Avast investigated further and removed them from the virus definitions.

A screenshot of the Avast alert with the Details option enabled could help. - Attaching Images to your post - When you Click the Reply button it opens a text window for you to post your comment (reply or post).
Click the Preview button, that shows what you have input and expands it to include 'Attachments and other options'. Click that it further expands, here you can attach images, etc. at the bottom of your post.
See my attached image, click to expand.

- New location to report both a False Positive and or a False Negative - https://www.avast.com/submit-a-sample#pc

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security