Author Topic: Avast Web Shield keeps blocking connection to McShield  (Read 856 times)

Offline Myles45

Avast Web Shield keeps blocking connection to McShield
« on: August 27, 2024, 01:50:09 PM »
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice about how to deal with this situation. I think my MC Shield software must keep trying to update itself because several times a day I'm getting the attached popup from Avast.

Can anyone advise me on how to stop this from occurring as I presume MCshield should be safe?

I sent the alert ID to Avast for checking but haven't received any response.

Offline Lano

Re: Avast Web Shield keeps blocking connection to McShield
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2024, 01:37:31 AM »
It's probably time to get rid of McShield:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=328431.0

Offline Myles45

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2024, 12:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the link to that post Lano.

I think from what Pondus says, the program is still ok to keep & use but just need to uncheck auto-updates which is what appears to be triggering Avast.

When I looked, I actually had it set to check for updates every 2 hrs!! Have unchecked it now so hopefully, that will sort the issue.

Offline Lano

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2024, 01:55:49 PM »
You're welcome. :) Yes, the program is still somewhat functional without updates.

Offline Myles45

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2024, 02:33:40 PM »
In case anyone else has similar issues, I also found that I needed to uncheck "Allow MCS Cloud functions" as that too was triggering Avast.

Fingers crossed that does the job now. :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 06:55:58 AM »
Of course, since McShield developers ceased support as of April 14, 2014, program is long overdue for an update and is thus obsolete.

High probability that Avast web blocks are actually true and live and are the result of hacker exploitation of the program itself.

Obsolete programs can and are exploited for security weaknesses as a matter of course.

Recommendation is to uninstall McShield.

[EDIT:]  Link to old non-existent website here:  https://www.afterdawn.com/software/security/misc_security_tools/mcshield.cfm#details

You can click the author's website link and you will get a 404 - Not Found.  Actual url is/was:  http://amf.mycity.rs/mcshield/index.html

Since avast does not alert when connecting to this address, you can be sure someone has figured out how to intercept outgoing server requests made by McShield if server requests are enabled, for nefarious purposes.

Glad Avast does block this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 07:27:06 AM by mchain »
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Avast Premier Security version 24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.868)
UI version 1.0.814