Author Topic: External HHD is "Unfindable"!  (Read 374 times)

Offline Nik9

External HHD is "Unfindable"!
« on: July 28, 2024, 06:38:44 PM »
Hello, everyone..

I take photographs - MILLIONS of them.  (Yeah, I know!)  I 'happened upon' a WD HDD, and I just can't SEE it.  The connected noises happen, but nothing..  Any ideas?  And what's the UK number for Avast anyway?

Nik - "Millions?" 
Here's 30k: nikwatt.co.uk - I've been published locally, nationally, & internationally OVER 60,000 times (all Scotland - unedited!)

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Re: External HHD is "Unfindable"!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 04:27:19 PM »
How do you know this is Avast related?

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 05:06:17 PM »
How this has any connection to the use of AVAST baffles me. We don't even know whether the HDD is a new one or if it has the "millions" of photographs mentioned and has just suddenly stopped being recognised.

However, to be helpful, I'd suggest doing this:-

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080

and checking whether the external HDD is seen there and, if new, initialized. If it is not then I'd try the HDD using a different external housing connection and if that doesn't work I'd suspect a problem with the HDD itself. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2024, 07:35:58 PM »
Baffles me too as to how it is connected to Avast reads more like promotion of a website (which could be considered spamming).

Are you getting any error or alert from Avast if so what  ?
Are you getting any error from Windows, if so what  ?
What version of Windows  ?

I have a Windows 10 laptop (details in my signature below posts) - I have several SSDs (4 all together) that I use for system and data backups, though no HDDs.

All can be view in windows explorer and I right click on the external drive and have Avast scan it.  So windows and Avast can see the the drive and Avast completed the scan successfully.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security