Author Topic: Can't Shut Down Proceses  (Read 2554 times)

Pickerd

Can't Shut Down Proceses
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:19:38 PM »
I know why you made it so avast cant be shut down via the processes menu, but I still do not appreciate it. I play very high end games and run cpu intensive applications, the ability to shut down processes is a must. I like every kb of ram possible free and nothing accessing anything when they don't need to, including an anti-virus program.

I also realize you aren't going to change back, but I still wanted to post my objection to the change. I can go to my services and manually shut them down, but it still leaves ashdisp.exe plus its a pain to do it that way. I haven't had a virus in well over 2 years because of your fine program. If it was working fine with the ability to shut it down via processes tab I don't see why it couldnt continue. The splash screen you get when shutting down the ac in the systems menu, warning that something was trying to shut down the program, is plenty.

My computer. I want control over it and the programs within.

ty

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can't Shut Down Proceses
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »
You don't really get any significant amount of resources by killing the processes, but if you need to:
avast! settings / Troubleshooting / Disable self-protection modules

Pickerd

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »
I didn't see the other thread. You can delete this one if you want.

But no, I don't want to jump thru 20 hoops to shut down a process. It was fine b4. Like I said, 2 years, no viruses. Your AC rocks. There is nothing diff today than yesterday. If it was an issue, than I would have been having virus problems by now. Im not. Regardless, you know as well as I don't your not going to change it so I'll just have to grin and bear it, but non to happy about it. It you telling me what to do on my pc if I choose your program. Not a fan of that.

ty for letting me rant. Nothing personal, I really do love Avast! and all you guys do. I mean no offense. Just saying my peace is all.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
If you check that button in program settings, you're back to the previous behavior.