Author Topic: Avast won't block youtube in site blocking  (Read 395 times)

Offline Rennex

Avast won't block youtube in site blocking
« on: September 11, 2024, 06:09:26 PM »
I wanted to block chrome webstore and YouTube (it actually blocks accounts.youtube.com, which isn't youtube, means I can just open incognito and keep watching, or just refresh and sign out and am watching YouTube again. I am addicted to YouTube on PC. I give many people access to my PC and want to restrict access to sites. It's tiring to manually add hundreds of websites to site blocker one by one. It's not efficient, traditional methods like the host file can be bypassed by a simple chrome webstore VPN. I appreciate the ability to block websites and add a password in Avast. I hope you can fix me:

1) Adding multiple well formatted sites to site block at once.
2) Ability to block any site I add.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 06:19:52 PM by Rennex »

Online polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Avast won't block youtube in site blocking
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2024, 06:15:41 PM »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Rennex

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 06:21:32 PM »
Host file is bypassed by a simple VPN. From what I know about computers, that's ineffective. I want the feature inside avast, you get? Coz I can control avast myself with passwords and no one can edit it. People know how to edit host file. It has no restrictions. Then I don't want more apps, or extensions when Avast can just add me a simple feature.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 06:23:31 PM by Rennex »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2024, 07:44:34 PM »
Quote from: Rennex
I give many people access to my PC and want to restrict access to sites.
Even if this were possible in Avast to block YouTube, as far as I'm aware it wouldn't be selective in who can and can't visit YouTube, so you too would probably be blocked.

You don't indicate the URL string that you have entered in an attempt to block YouTube, so it is pretty hard to suggest something that may achieve this:
eg. hXXps://*/youtube.com/* The XX in the start is to prevent the example link being active in the forums rather than https. But that would impact all users not just those you give access to.

I would be thinking restrict those who use your computer.  I just wonder if a limited user account in windows for guests - that may achieve what you are thinking,
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/168988/how-to-configure-restrictions-on-a-user-account-in
This was one hit from this search string - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=limited+user+account+in+windows&

So you only give access to the limited user account and you can hopefully lock that down to what you are thinking.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 07:46:54 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online Lano

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024, 01:39:02 AM »
Look through your router settings. I found what I think you're looking for, and you can lock it down with a admin password.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024, 02:10:51 AM »
Thanks for the input Lano, this isn't something I've ever had to do or needed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rennex

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024, 02:51:22 AM »
Look through your router settings. I found what I think you're looking for, and you can lock it down with a admin password.

My router is fully ISP controlled, typical of most providers in my country, that's why I was relying on my antivirus firewall.

Online Lano

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024, 11:39:55 PM »

My router is fully ISP controlled, typical of most providers in my country, that's why I was relying on my antivirus firewall.
Have you contacted your ISP for a solution? Maybe a parental control they offer would work.