Author Topic: Affected files in the chest?  (Read 2231 times)

myimmortalgirl

Affected files in the chest?
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
Ok after downloading the avast 4.7 software i immediately did a scan and it said i had a lot of malware and viruses on my laptop so i moved all those files to the chest and have left them there but my question now is if i decided to get rid of avast and use a different anti-virus software what do i do with the files in the chest? Im afraid if i uninstall this that it will delete all those files in the chest and what if it is a file that shouldn't be deleted. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question to everyone im just new with this type of stuff. So any help would be apreciated thanks. ;D

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Affected files in the chest?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »
Hi myimmortalgirl,

You are quite right in what you say. The best thing to do would be to wait a while just to make sure nothing is wrong. If you do have a problem caused by avast! deleting a legitimate file, you then have the option of restoring it.

If avast! found a lot of malware, I'd also recommend some anti-spyware scans: you can run these alongside avast!:

AVG Anti-Spyware Free (Requires Win2k/XP)

Ad-Aware Free

Spybot Search & Destroy

SUPERAntiSpyware Free

Download, install and update the programs. Disconnect from the internet (pull the plug) before running scans in Safe Mode if possible.

Always select the option to quarantine any malware found rather than delete it, then you will be able to restore files or registry entries wrongly identified as malware- a rare but not unknown event for any malware scanner.

Also just to make sure nothing has been missed, try some online scans. (Disable avast! while scanning.)

F-Secure

BitDefender

Panda

Trend Micro Housecall

When you have finished, scan for out-of-date and insecure software using Secunia Software Inspector and update any vulnerable software: this will help to prevent future infections.

Install SpywareBlaster also to prevent future infections: don't forget to update every month or so.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog