Author Topic: Unknown device in my network  (Read 715 times)

Offline DemoXC

Unknown device in my network
« on: March 21, 2024, 01:43:04 PM »
Hello there.

I recently scanned my network with Avast Premium Security from my PC (cable-connected). I found out that there's some suspicious device that I don't know. It has no ipv4, after each scan MAC and IP addresses change, also my router and other programs don't see this device at all. When I scan this network from laptop (connected via Wi-Fi) it still show that this device is unknown, but the name and vendor are "Maxlinear, Inc", first 6 chars of MAC refer to Intel. I use Mullvad VPN, but it was disabled.
Is it a threat or nothing to worry about?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Unknown device in my network
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 02:05:28 PM »
https://www.maxlinear.com/

Turn off all your devices and scan, is it gone?
Then turn on one by one and scan until you see it

Offline DemoXC

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 03:01:05 PM »
If I turn off Wi-Fi or LAN-connection I can't scan network on the same device. But if I turn internet connection on another device, this unknown device still in my network.

Offline Olivergbyrne84

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:59:47 AM »
Hello , any news about this. I started having the same issue with a generic Maxlinear device showing on Avast scan but not on the router itself ? I tried changing password, resetting router etc.. and this device won't go away on the scan ... Just would like to be reassured it is nothing to worry about. I had to reboot my router after a loss of connection and before that I never had this device showing up at all...