Author Topic: Turning it off  (Read 2362 times)

kesher

Turning it off
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »
How do I turn Avast4 off ?

THANKS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Turning it off
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
Why would you want to turn it off ?

If it is to install another piece of software and they say you should, what is the software and you would have to ask why they need to do that. Installation of software is probably one of the most important times you want your defences 'up' and not have your trowsers round your amcles so to speak.

You can pause or terminate providers, double click on the avast ' a ' icon and if there is a Details... button click that, it gives access to on-access providers.

You can also right click the avast 'a' icon, select Stop On-Access Protection, just repeat this to Start On-Access Protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kesher

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »
Because I want to install a Comodo Firewall and it's recommended that you switch the AV before doing so

http://forums.comodo.com/frequently_asked_questions_faq_for_comodo_firewall/installation_guidetutorial_for_cfp_v3-t18352.0.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 12:37:06 AM »
I would advise against it and the reason given IMHO is weak

1c.  If you have an active/real-time antivirus or antispyware applications running, I recommend turning these off (completely disable all real-time function) temporarily while you install CFP v3.  Although they should not conflict directly, the load on the system may result in installation problems.

So no clash potential only it may load your system, if your system can't cope with installing an application without fear of overloading it, then either your system probably shouldn't be installing anything or there is something wrong with the programs installation routine.

I never disabled my avast to install outpost pro firewall and I can't recall anything I have turned off my AV for to install a program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 12:39:27 AM »
FWIW, I've in the past installed two versions of CFP (currently using 2.4) and had no problems installing (nor subsequent) with Avast left on.
If you want to go by the book though and turn it off, or even exit it, do so, (pause or stop protection) and it would be wise to be offline while doing that.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.