Author Topic: File Name: C:\autorun.inf Malware name: VBS:Malware-gen  (Read 3428 times)

simply_suhail

File Name: C:\autorun.inf Malware name: VBS:Malware-gen
« on: February 04, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »
I got my PC infected(i dont know the source-may be a pen drive)...Avast's latest update detected the virus & takes the action i want(it can move the virus to chest,delete it,etc but cant disinfect it)...BUT the virus comes back again & again..In about half a minute,the on-access scanner detects it,asks for action,i chose delete ,it deletes the virus,and again in some seconds,the whole process repeats.......The virus is found in all my drives ! :(HELP

philly12

Re: File Name: C:\autorun.inf Malware name: VBS:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »
There are some viruses that avast cannot fix and you may have to reformat ur hard drive.  I'm not sure if the virus u listed in the name of ur post is one of them, but it is possible that it is. Also, since its a generic virus, it may be possible that it is a false positive.  Have you uploaded it to virustotal.com to check if it is?  If not, you can extract it from the chest onto ur desktop and upload it to virustotal to see if it is a false positive or not.  If it isn't, an advast admin will have to help you with removal and you will probably be required to download a program named hijackthis from trend micro.  You can go ahead and download it now because it is a good tool, but check virustotal first to see if you indeed have an infection.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:51:51 PM by philly12 »

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »
a) this virus needs no reformat probably (it's the autorun virus, you got infected via the USB stick, right?)
b) this is not a case of false positive probably (autorun.inf should not be in C: root... it's a crapful hole from MS, cause the autorun should be processed only on CD/DVD drive... i absolutely don't know, why autoruns are turned on for fixed drives and removable drives)
c) folow the threads with INF:Autorun discussions, you could find a solution there..

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 05:25:30 PM »
Hi there I gave you a fix in your duplicate topic
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33123.new#new