Author Topic: Package is broken?  (Read 2443 times)

sanctuaryforever

Package is broken?
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:48:07 AM »
My Netgear router acted strange earlier today it started logging every website as blocked by its internal firewall even though it hasnt been set to a schedule or any other option, I decided to use its reboot router feature to refresh it and when it came back on everything was fine except that it had cut Avast off in the middle of an update and a box appeared saying package is broken.  Once the router was running fine again I manually ran update VPS and it downloaded the next update with no error messages.

1) What does package broken mean?
2) Should Avast be ok seeing as I was still able to update the VPS after the incident (ie is this error just a simple message saying that update couldnt be completed etc)
3) Can routers act strange from time to time?

ps I have the log it displayed referring to the error so if you need any more info just ask
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:52:28 AM by sanctuaryforever »

onlysomeone

Re: Package is broken?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »
1) What does package broken mean?
in your case it just means that avast! couldn't finish downloading and installing it.
(because of your manual update the package should be ok again or never was really broken)

2) Should Avast be ok seeing as I was still able to update the VPS after the incident 
everything should be ok! - if you notice problems just post them in this forum.

(ie is this error just a simple message saying that update couldnt be completed etc)
i think so :)

3) Can routers act strange from time to time?
can be...

yours
onlysomeone

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:58:15 AM by onlysomeone »

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:35:38 AM »
If anyone else has anything to add or clarify that would help or have had a similar experience then feel free to post

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 12:03:01 PM »
Routers are just smaller computers.  I never turn off my Linksys router but every few months it will behave strangely, not allow connections etc. and a good old therapeutic reboot gets the router working again.

And ... I'm sorry to say but  a couple of the folks I support have fairly new Netgear routers and they seem to need the reboots on a more frequent basis than my Linksys does (though truth to tell I do have up to date third party firmware in my Linux based Linksys).

If you are half way through a download and you reset your router you will have a broken package on your system.  Guaranteed.

kubecj

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:04:34 PM »
If you want to know what really happened, you may consult setup.log file, there are more messages around the error line. It may be a bit confusing for non-tech people, I admit  ;)