Author Topic: Mail Scanner?  (Read 3322 times)

DrScientist

Mail Scanner?
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:18:01 PM »
I was just online, and I noticed an icon popping up in the system tray.  It said it was an Avast mail scanner.  It would pop up, and then go away. Now, as of this moment, it hasn't come back. The logo looked like either an envelope or a computer, I forget which.

Sorry if this is vague. I was wondering if this is something to be concerned about?. Or does Avast have this icon?  I've never seen it before. I usually just have the "a" icon for the on-access scanner and the "f" icon for the Virus Recovery Database.

Thanks!

fazio93

Re: Mail Scanner?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:25:24 PM »
its the mail scanner. it only comes up when it scans new mail in the inbox.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:23:55 AM »
Is it this one?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19794.0;topicseen
If so, it's ok, avast is scanning emails.
Are you sending/receiving emails at that time? If not, hmmm, maybe your computer is infected.
In this case (infection), I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

DrScientist

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:18 AM »
Yes, that's the one.

But no, I wasn't checking my mail at all.  On Saturday, I had found a Trojan virus, while starting up Avast. It found it while it did the memory test.  The virus description is Wini32:Trojan-gen{other}. I sent it into the chest. Avast then told me I should do a boot scan, which I did.  I ran another scan, and no other infections were found.  Scans done with SpyBot and Ad-Aware also found nothing.

Incidentally, I have recently received an email from my internet provider telling me my computer might be infected. It had found an unusually high number of emails being sent, unsuccessfully . It told me it could be a bot, and that I should scan with anti virus, anti spyware.  I'm not sure when it detected the problem, because I had found the virus as I said, and had sent it to the chest. Unless I'm still infected?  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:22:00 AM »
The likelihood is you have an undetected/hidden trojan spambot on your system, so start working through Tech's steps. Hopefully you will see some results with step 4.

What is your firewall ?
It should be capable of blocking unauthorised outbound Internet Connections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DrScientist

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 03:21:39 AM »
The thing is.....I don't have a firewall :-[.  Yeah, I know I need one, but I'm using Windows 2000, and that doesn't have one.  I had been using the free Comodo firewall, but had to uninstall as I was having problems with it. I think I'll have to try to install it again. Although I have read that it's better to clean the computer first before downloading it.  Is this true?

A few questions/comments for Techs advice:

1. Since my OS is Windows 2000, I don't think it has a System Restore.

2. I've cleaned the temp files as suggested.

3. I'll try the boot scan again, although I've done that once before, and I think it was unable to scan the archives. I'll try again later, and tell you the results.

4. Are SUPERantispyware and Spyware Terminator better or different than Ad-Aware 2007 and SpyBot Search and Destroy?  I always get the feeling Ad-Aware 2007 is not very effective.  And SpyBot has not found anything in a while.  Should these programs be able to detect something like this, or am I better off trying the ones suggested?

Also, would it be a good idea to try Trend Micros Housecall? I think that's the free scanner.  If I use it, do I have to disable Avast first?

Thanks for the help.  The Avast forums are always good at offering speedy advice!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 03:25:39 AM »
1. Since my OS is Windows 2000, I don't think it has a System Restore.
System Restore is not available in Windows 2k.

4. Are SUPERantispyware and Spyware Terminator better or different than Ad-Aware 2007 and SpyBot Search and Destroy?  I always get the feeling Ad-Aware 2007 is not very effective.
You're right. Ad-aware is not 'effective' anymore (too low detection rate).

Also, would it be a good idea to try Trend Micros Housecall? I think that's the free scanner.  If I use it, do I have to disable Avast first?
Some people recommend disabling the resident antivirus before running on-line ones.
Full computer on-line scanning:
Kaspersky (very good detection rates)
ESET NOD32
Trendmicro housecall
F-Secure
BitDefender (free removal of the malware)
The best things in life are free.

fazio93

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 04:54:18 AM »
i recommend  kaspersky av online scanner :)