Author Topic: Computer restarts on hibernate  (Read 2522 times)

jtmohrpa03

Computer restarts on hibernate
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:07:14 AM »
Since yesterday, when I restarted my computer after vacation, and my wifes for that matter(both Vista V 6.0 build 6000 ), our computers now restart whenever they enter sleep(hibernate) mode.

It says the error is due to our etherenet cards, mine says "This problem was caused by Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller, which was created by Marvell Semiconductor." My wife has a different card.

It seems odd to me this would suddenly happen to both of our machines, would an automatic update have caused this? I did nothing to the machines before turning them off before the weekend. I have used Avast for a year on this machine, my wifes is about 2 months old, installed Avast on the first day.

Thanks for help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Computer restarts on hibernate
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
Maybe avast is not related... indeed, why avast would be related?

We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which actions have you taken to try solving the problem?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
- In XP/Vista, is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?

Are you using Vista SP1?
The best things in life are free.

jtmohrpa03

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:46:09 AM »
- Which actions have you taken to try solving the problem? - I have done a ton of searching on Ethernet Controller problems, none of which helped. As a test I turned the power save mode off on my wifes computer, this seems to have worked but does not help me figure out why it suddenly reboots when going into power save.
- Do you use a firewall? Which one? - Zonealarm
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system? No Did you have in the past? Just whatever was installed when purchased, I believe Mcaffee but uninstalled right away.
- Any other security programs that could interfere? - Nothing has been added in the last few days. Literally my machines were fine, I shut them down for the holiday, upon return this restarting occurs when they try to hibernate.
- In XP/Vista, is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'? Well the error messages say this "The previous system shutdown at 7:37:37 AM on 5/28/2008 was unexpected." It says that about 6 times in the past few days, always 30 minutes after I stop using the machine (thats the time set to enter hibernate)

My only reason for thinking it could be avast related is becuase both machines have avast installed and both set to auto update, which they did immediately upon startup after my return from vacation.

Not using vista SP1 on my machine (just vista v 6 build 6000) but my wife does have Vista SP1.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »
I believe Mcaffee but uninstalled right away.
This article provides the steps to remove SecurityCenter from your computer.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525
Also for direct download: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
and http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe (2007)

If you need, you can find many free versions of these registry cleaners here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwregtools.html

Sometimes, McAfee won't be completely removed if, before, you do not uninstall Avast, including the use of its "Uninstall Application" if necessary (www.avast.com/eng/faq-install-uninstall-avast.html).

Not using vista SP1 on my machine (just vista v 6 build 6000) but my wife does have Vista SP1.
It won't be bad trying to install SP1 as it will give you the latest updates of the operational system.
The best things in life are free.