Author Topic: Cannot access avast.com website!  (Read 8131 times)

lynnie64

Cannot access avast.com website!
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:45:59 AM »
This is crazy...I have not been able to access avast.com for quite sometime, so I have always used AVG. I decided to switch to avast today, but I need to register my product to get the licence code #. I can not even register my product because I can STILL not get to the web site!
I get the page from IE telling me the page is unavailable. What could possibly be keeping me from that site? I don't want to go back to AVG, but if I can't acccess the web site, I can't even register my product!
Any ideas on this at all? Please help!!!!!! :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot access avast.com website!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »
Check your HOSTS file you are looking for anything like 127.0.0.1 and avast.co on the same line. This is a common malware tactic to block anti-virus sites, so there might be other sites blocked in the same way. Though it is strange that you can access forum.avast.com yet not avast.com.

Using notepad this can be opened as it is only a text file.
HOSTS file redirect - 127.0.0.1 check your HOSTS file using notepad or a text editor of your choice, C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or do a search for HOSTS to find it if not there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

You can use the demo key that is an integral part of avast, this will give you 60 days unrestricted use, so it isn't urgent that you register immediately.

What version of IE are you using ?
Have you tried a different browser, firefox or opera, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lynnie64

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:51:28 AM »
I am using version IE 7. I would prefer to keep that, not switch to firefox if possible.
I went in to notepad and these are the ones I found associated with avast:
127.0.0.1   avast.free-software-center.com
127.0.0.1   www.avast.free-software-center.com
127.0.0.1   avast-2007.com
127.0.0.1   www.avast-2007.com
127.0.0.1   avast-downloads.com
127.0.0.1   www.avast-downloads.com
127.0.0.1   avast-hq.com
127.0.0.1   www.avast-hq.com

Nothing exactly as www.avast.com, but quite a few associations though. I am not familiar with hosts at ALL, so I wanted to ask you before doing anything further. Do I delete all these hosts? (I also see lots of other suspicious hosts - is there a way to tell if you are safe deleting one, or should I just leave them be?) I do run ad-aware on a regular basis, but I am sure some bad things slip by.

I don't know much in this area, so any help you could offer would be great. I was nervous to just delete all these hosts without checking with you first...thanks!

I don't know why I can access the forums, other than the actual web address is slightly different. I even had to download avast from download.com, as I couldn't get to the avast site to download it.

Thanks again for your help. ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:24:07 AM »
Some viruses avoid reaching the antivirus websites...
Go to the SSL page version and register from there: https://secure.avast.com/scripts/register.php?lang=ENG
See the tutorial:  http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm

Do I delete all these hosts? (I also see lots of other suspicious hosts - is there a way to tell if you are safe deleting one, or should I just leave them be?) I do run ad-aware on a regular basis, but I am sure some bad things slip by.
No, you don't have to do so... the 127.0.0.1 that proceeds make them safe... if you try to access the tentative will return to your own computer (localhost or 127.0.0.1).
The best things in life are free.

lynnie64

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:47:22 AM »
Thanks for the secure site...that worked for my registration. (I could not visit the tutorial page however, since it begins with www.avast.com, which is what I can't get to.)

Maybe you could help me here as far as the hosts. ;)
I notice that all the 127.0.0.1 files are BAD sites that I think were put there to keep my computer from those sites. But then underneath all those are host files that are # 1.1.1.1 and every single one of those are good sites, mostly spyware/malware removal sites, and ALL are the ones I can NOT access, including avast.com Here is what it looks like:

# This list is Copyright 2000-2007 Safer Networking Limited
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
1.1.1.1 housecall.trendmicro.com
1.1.1.1 usa.kaspersky.com
1.1.1.1 ewido.net
1.1.1.1 www.ewido.net
1.1.1.1 zonelabs.com
1.1.1.1 www.zonelabs.com
1.1.1.1 www.bitdefender.com
1.1.1.1 download.bitdefender.com
1.1.1.1 spywareinfo.com
1.1.1.1 www.spywareinfo.com
1.1.1.1 merijn.org
1.1.1.1 www.merijn.org
1.1.1.1 sysinternals.com
1.1.1.1 www.sysinternals.com
1.1.1.1 onguardonline.gov
1.1.1.1 www.onguardonline.gov
1.1.1.1 avast.com
1.1.1.1 www.avast.com
1.1.1.1 safety.live.com
1.1.1.1 www.paretologic.com
1.1.1.1 paretologic.com
1.1.1.1 services.google.com
1.1.1.1 www.webroot.com
1.1.1.1 webroot.com
1.1.1.1 bleepingcomputer.com
1.1.1.1 techguy.org
1.1.1.1 forums.techguy.org

I tried just deleting one of them to see if after I did I could access the site but still couldn't. (But I didn't close out of notepad). Since it didn't work I just clicked "undo" and it went back.

But basically ALL these are the sites my computer will not let me go to. Do you know how I can get them off of the list or how I can access these sites? I had a bad virus about 6 months ago and these sites have been off limits to me ever since then, even though the virus was removed.

I know this goes BEYOND just my question regarding avast, but if you could help me I would be soooo grateful! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :) :) :)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:05:26 AM »
There are also some trojans that change your DNS Server settings. So you might want to make sure yours is still set to get them automatically from your ISP:

1.   Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
2.   Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
3.   On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
4.   Click Obtain DNS server address automatically.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:22:59 AM »
Hi lynnie64 ,
you really have had your HOSTs file HiJacked , I'm hoping that your system is clean of Virus .

I suggest you look at the location C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and see what is there . You may have your original HOSTS file in there , but with an added word , to make it inactive by the previous infection .. Don't worry about that at the moment however .

Basically your HOSTS file needs to be cleared of all those false entries . You should remove all the other ( Hijacked ) entries and paste what is the default information which should be in the HOSTS text document .

Make sure we are clear , the text file we are talking of is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
This is the original HOSTS file , you should totally clear all entries from your present HOSTS file ( Select All > Delete ) and in the BLANK file paste :
Code: [Select]
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
That is the default HOSTS file !

I notice .: Mac :. has posted a milli - second before me , I still believe your HOSTS file should be set to default as I instructed .
I need confirmation , but do as  .: Mac :. says ; check your HOSTS file . If it still has the "good sites" listed , do as I instucted above please .  :)

lynnie64

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:12:20 AM »
Hey  Abraxas, ;)

Thanks for all the advice. I still need to maybe do what .: Mac :.  suggested too. But I thought I'd try the hosts situation first. You guys are full of lots of good info!

I have 2 files named "hosts". One is a file and one is a text document. (The rest are mostly a bunch of backup files). I was able to delete the text document and replace it with the default code you gave me. But when I tried to do the same thing to the hosts file, it asked if I wanted to save changes and when I said yes, it said
"cannot create the C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file"
"Make sure that the path and filename are correct"
Then it takes me to a window to "save" it, and the file name is "hosts". Then I hit "save" and it asks if I want to replace the file with the one that exists. I say "yes". But then when I open up the file, there is still all the same garbage that was in there before.

So....any ideas on how to change that stubborn file? I have scanned using AVG and then today using avast and I also removed a bunch of crap via spybot a few days ago, so I really think the virus is gone. Just not the effects from the virus. A computer guy came over to the house and removed the virus and fixed a bunch of things, but aparantly did not fix the hosts situation!

Your thoughts? :-\

lynnie64

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:18:34 AM »
Just an update....I did what you suggested .: Mac :. , and the proper settings were already all checked as far as the DNS server, so I guess that isn't a problem.

I really think it is in my hijacked hosts file. Just FYI.

Thanks for the advice though. :)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:53:05 PM »
A guide to understanding and using the hosts file.
HOSTS
You will find what you need there, including a custom hosts file, info,and a host file manager.

This download includes a simple batch file (mvps.bat) that will rename the existing HOSTS file to HOSTS.MVP then copy the included updated HOSTS file to the proper location. For more information please see the readme.txt included in the download.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:55:10 PM by oldman »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:58:45 PM »
@lynnie64
Try this to connect to avast.com http://74.86.245.119 that is the IP address and would bypass any Hosts or DNS blocking issue as it goes directly to the IP address.

Registration page, try this:
http://74.86.245.119/eng/home-registration.php

Both of these work for me so the links are good and hopefully will avoid the blocking you are experiencing.

I wasn't suggesting that you change browsers, just test it with another browser as if it worked with another browser then the issue is somewhere in IE7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:21:44 AM »
lynnie64 ,
please refer back to us if you have any problems configuring your HOSTS file . I'm a little confused / comcerned as to exactly what you deleted and changed here => C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
"cannot create the C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file"
The info oldman gave about the MVPS Hosts file should help you figure it out  ;)

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 03:31:57 AM »

Lynnie64 - from where did you download avast onto your computer?

I might be wrong but I think Lynnie64 has a fraudulent copy of avast. Most of the listings in the below host file are for fraudulent sites.

http://www.avast.com/eng/fraudulent-sales-of-avast-products.html

I am using version IE 7. I would prefer to keep that, not switch to firefox if possible.
I went in to notepad and these are the ones I found associated with avast:
127.0.0.1   avast.free-software-center.com
127.0.0.1   www.avast.free-software-center.com
127.0.0.1   avast-2007.com
127.0.0.1   www.avast-2007.com
127.0.0.1   avast-downloads.com
127.0.0.1   www.avast-downloads.com
127.0.0.1   avast-hq.com
127.0.0.1   www.avast-hq.com

Nothing exactly as www.avast.com, but quite a few associations though.