Author Topic: No Clean Message in Out Bound or In Bound email  (Read 3124 times)

Nosnibor

No Clean Message in Out Bound or In Bound email
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
I seem to have a small problem with avast inserting a "Clean Message" in my incoming and outgoing emails. It WAS working but now it has stopped. Ive checked my settings (i haven't changed any since it was working) and all looks well but no insertion. hmmmm Can ANYONE shed some light on this problem? In advance, thank you to all who reply.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: No Clean Message in Out Bound or In Bound email
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »
Is avast actually scanning your email ?
Check the Internet Mail detailed view for last scanned and scanned total fields, these should be changing.

What is your email client ?
Are you using webmail ?

Insert Clean Notes - I don't feel that the insertion of clean notes is very worth while.
Certainly doing it for inbound email is pointless as if it is infected all hell will break loose with a visual and audible alert so you will know. For outbound email it is more of a good advert for avast, but if the recipient is anything like me they won't trust any clean note as it can be inserted by 'anything.'  In fact there are a number of virus attacks that inserted an not that the email was scanned by a well known AV which shall remain nameless, this to lull recipients into a false sense of security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nosnibor

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »
I don't think it is scanning. I'm NOW emailing back and forth with 2 ppl and "Internet Mail Details" in avast indicates last scanned BLANK, Scanned Count 0. But it say it is running.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »
The fact that it is running isn't important the issue is that it isn't scanning your email.

So I need answers to the other questions and another thrown in for good measure, does your ISP use SSL email ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nosnibor

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:30:54 AM »
I'm using "Windows Live Mail" connected to my "Hotmail" and "Accesscomm" accounts and avast is connected to my "Accesscomm" mail which does use the proper SMTP protical. Not sure what "Webmail" is. Not sure what SSL email is.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:32:52 AM »
Well the Hotmail (webmail) account (unless a pop3 account) won't be scanned when it comes down from hotmail to windows live mail as it doesn't use the pop3 protocol.

SSL is secure encrypted email and as such designed to keep out prying eyes and clean notes. This SSL usually uses a different port, 456 I believe and as such won't be scanned as avast is monitoring ports 25, smtp, 110, pop3, 119 nntp (news/usenet) and 143, IMAP email.

So you need to check the account settings for your Accesscomm account, check the outgoing and incoming email ports and if the use SSL options are enabled or not.