Author Topic: What i don't understand .........  (Read 6190 times)

hines232

What i don't understand .........
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:45:29 AM »
#1. Ran SAS (Free, Latest version, and updates) No indication of any problems, except for tracking cookies. ;D

#2. Did an Avast "On demand scan", Thorough, Archives also,C:\ Drive, all files and folders.

#3 Got two hits of "virus infected". Tried to put into "chest", no-go, (error trying to move to chest according to list that appears at end of scan). :o

#4. Here is the file (two the same),c:\_restore\archive\bkupvxdlastlog.6\w0008101.cpy.

#5.Malware name:\win32.MyWebsearch-G (Tool).

#6. Potentially Dangerous Program.

#7. V P S version 080612-0 6/12/2008

#8. Reran same identical scan, (Avast), Nothing found ???? :'(

#9. What to do.  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What i don't understand .........
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:48:09 AM »
Does a VPS update occur in between? It could be a false positive correction.
Are you using Windows Millenium? Maybe a restore point (infected) was replaced by the system.
The best things in life are free.

hines232

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:30:45 AM »
Does a VPS update occur in between? It could be a false positive correction.
Are you using Windows Millenium? Maybe a restore point (infected) was replaced by the system.
No tech, no vps update occurred, and no system restore occurred. Yes My system is ME. Thanks for the return.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:35:12 PM »
no system restore occurred. Yes My system is ME. Thanks for the return.
Hmmm... strange then... why it was detected and the the detection disappeared? ??? ???

hines232

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:28:54 PM »
Hmmm... strange then... why it was detected and the the detection disappeared? ??? ???
Has me wondering too, But after all it is a machine right ??

hines232

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »
Tech, Ran the same thing today as I did yesterday (two updates between Avast), and got hit with the same two files again. Could not put in chest, and I presume they are still out there. (it let me put in chest) then at the end of Scan tell's me "error trying to put in chest" (log list at end). They are in "archive files", Restores. I had ran SAS before hand (nothing found) . Dose SAS scan archive files ?? (SAS set for C:\ drive. (See attachments. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:23:33 AM »
Disable System Restore on Windows ME and then enable again. This will delete the infected (or false positive) points on the restore folder.

Dose SAS scan archive files ?? (SAS set for C:\ drive.
If you set so on its settings... yes.

hines232

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:34:04 AM »
Ok, Thanks

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 03:10:53 AM »
#1. Ran SAS (Free, Latest version, and updates) No indication of any problems, except for tracking cookies. ;D

#2. Did an Avast "On demand scan", Thorough, Archives also,C:\ Drive, all files and folders.

#3 Got two hits of "virus infected". Tried to put into "chest", no-go, (error trying to move to chest according to list that appears at end of scan). :o

#4. Here is the file (two the same),c:\_restore\archive\bkupvxdlastlog.6\w0008101.cpy.

#5.Malware name:\win32.MyWebsearch-G (Tool).

#6. Potentially Dangerous Program.

#7. V P S version 080612-0 6/12/2008

#8. Reran same identical scan, (Avast), Nothing found ???? :'(

#9. What to do.  ???

Ahhhhhh!  I think I AM seeing a pattern here that now makes me have to ask the question, which had been in the back of my mind:
Do avast! Malware Findings ALWAYS pop up in Pairs?
I ask this because as I mentioned in another thread, avast! always tags the same 2 AIM Files on my computer as Adware-gen.  Then on someone else's computer on which I worked, avast! found 4 Win:32 Virus Trojan-gen ... of which I believe they were actually 2 Pairs of the same Infected Files.  As in 2 of those 4 Infected Files were AOL Files and the other 2 were these Volume Information Files or something like that.  Then I see in hines232's post above that again ... a PAIR of Same Files were tagged by avast!  Why duplicates?  Or is there some minute difference that actually escaped my eye?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

hines232

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:38:57 PM »
Disable System Restore on Windows ME and then enable again. This will delete the infected (or false positive) points on the restore folder.

Dose SAS scan archive files ?? (SAS set for C:\ drive.
If you set so on its settings... yes. SAS's Scanning control tab is a bit confusing to me :-\  DO you check, or uncheck, what you want it to do ?? (don't see any thing about ARCHIVE FILES).