Author Topic: AVI Codec Pack Uninstall.exe  (Read 6067 times)

Tursiops47

AVI Codec Pack Uninstall.exe
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Each time I run by backup program in C:\*, Avast reports a virus. It's located on my external backup; H:\Cdrive\Program Files\AVI Codec Pack\Uninstall.exe.  I follow the suggestion and "Move to chest" but each time I backup, it's there again.
Should I just delete it (a. I wouldn't uninstall the Codec Pack, and b. wouldn't uninstall from H:\)?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVI Codec Pack Uninstall.exe
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:03:14 AM »
To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb. Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

Maybe you need to disable Hide protected operating system files and enable View hidden files and folders to manage the file(s).

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

Tursiops47

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:37:06 AM »
To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb. Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

Tried to send to VirusTotal but email said attachment was missing or being used by another program. So I first quarantined, ran Avast again for that folder. Then since the Codec Pack is updated and available on Download.com, downloaded newer version and installed in same directory.  Did another backup and Avast didn't set off any alarms so I am hoping it's OK.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:19:10 AM »
Avast didn't set off any alarms so I am hoping it's OK.
Was avast updated in between?

Tursiops47

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:47:28 AM »
Avast didn't set off any alarms so I am hoping it's OK.
Was avast updated in between?

No. The same day I had virus indications I moved to "vault" (or whatever it's called), deleted and updated the Codec pack, and ran Avast again on all relevant subdirectories; both on H:\backup\ and C:\Program Files\.  That was yesterday. Today all seems to be OK. Thanks for your quick response!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:18:34 AM »
I moved to "vault" (or whatever it's called)
Chest.

Today all seems to be OK. Thanks for your quick response!
Glad everything is ok. Be used to avast forum speed ;)