Author Topic: Discovery of other subnets  (Read 5192 times)

itsystemsllc

Discovery of other subnets
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:45:15 PM »
I have been using the Avast ADNM for quite a while on 2 separate networks that both have all client machines on the same subnet.  I have now run into a client with 5 separate locations.  4 locations are connected to the 5th location (headquarters) via hardware VPN.  The HQ office is where the ADNM is installed.  I ran a discovery task and only the local computers were found.  The local subnet is 192.168.1.0.  How do I discover the computers on the other 4 subnets 192.168.2.0 through 192.168.5.0?  I have read some of the posts here about multiple subnets but most are discussing issues after the clients already have the netclient software installed.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Discovery of other subnets
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:22:23 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the avast forums.

First, do you use the "NT LanManager" or "ActiveDirectory" lookup?

Also, can you see the other machines (on the other subnets) in Windows "Network Neighborhood"?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

itsystemsllc

Re: Discovery of other subnets
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »
I used NT LanManager because I don't use Active Directory in this environment.  Also, I do not see the computers from the other subnets in Network Places.  I can ping computers on the other subnets from the ADNM server by IP or by hostname and I can ping the ADNM server from all subnets.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:23:39 PM by itsystemsllc »

DeanMch

Re: Discovery of other subnets SOLUTION
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »
We had the same problem. 

In the Installation Package under the Miscellaneous screen you need to have the Server Address as the IP address.  It defaults as the server name.  After you make this change any new installs will show up across the subnet.

You can also update the ServerAddress field in the client ini file with the IP address.  This will require you to restart the Avast services or just reboot.

It appears that if you have already installed Avast with the server name and do a reinstall from the server it does not update the ini file so you will need to update existing files manually or with a script.

Hope this helps.

Rob