Author Topic: Secure a regular flash drive  (Read 3919 times)

Go Pack Go

Secure a regular flash drive
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »
Is it possible to secure, encrypt, password-protect a regular flash drive that comes with none of that stuff already?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Secure a regular flash drive
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:55:28 PM »
I haven't tried so I don't know off hand, but I suspect it could be done. My friend google might know better, a straight copy of some of your question returns many hits. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=secure%2C+encrypt%2C+password-protect+a+regular+flash+drive

You could tweak the search, excluding punctuation the hyphen and 'a regular' e.g. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=secure+encrypt+password+protect+flash+drive, its surprising what you can find with a good search string ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:59:58 AM »
Is it possible to secure, encrypt, password-protect a regular flash drive that comes with none of that stuff already?
Yes. Use TrueCrypt to create an encrypted file or to encrypt the whole device.
www.truecrypt.org
The best things in life are free.

Go Pack Go

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:51:28 AM »
Yes. Use TrueCrypt to create an encrypted file or to encrypt the whole device.
www.truecrypt.org

I went on truecrypt.org and, if I read correctly, if I were to use TrueCrypt to encrypt my USB flash drive, I would need to be running on a Administrator account to access it.  So if I were on a limited rights account, I wouldn't be able to access it right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:03:34 AM »
That is one of the problems with encrypting USB pen drives the need to be running an account with admin privileges. I believe there are a couple of options that don't require it (don't know of the top of my head), try modifying the google search relating to administrator and see if it reveals anything.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:22:07 AM »
I went on truecrypt.org and, if I read correctly, if I were to use TrueCrypt to encrypt my USB flash drive, I would need to be running on a Administrator account to access it.  So if I were on a limited rights account, I wouldn't be able to access it right?
To install the driver you should be an administrator, yes, it's a limitation of using drivers. But I think this occur only if you encrypt the whole device. You still can create a file and have the program in the USB to decrypt that file (a big one, like a storage).

Go Pack Go

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:44:57 AM »
I may have misunderstood when I was reading their FAQ, (It is like trying to read a foreign language for me.) but it sounded like if I were to encrypt the USB drive, then plug it in to a pc that I am using under a limited rights account, the driver needed wouldn't work right.  Am I wrong on this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:02:29 PM »
I may have misunderstood when I was reading their FAQ, (It is like trying to read a foreign language for me.) but it sounded like if I were to encrypt the USB drive, then plug it in to a pc that I am using under a limited rights account, the driver needed wouldn't work right.  Am I wrong on this?
No, you're right.
To load into a non-admin account you need to use an encrypted file into the USB (you can also copy the necessary files to the USB to work with TrueCrypt in a portable version).