Author Topic: Problem since yesterdays update  (Read 5499 times)

numbskull

Problem since yesterdays update
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:44:36 PM »
Hello everyone I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

First of all I'm using a laptop running windows vista. 

I did an Avast update yesterday which required a re-start , I click on the green notification that pops up.Anyway ,ever since, when there is a new update I am told  by the user account control that an unidentified program wants access to the computer.The program is called VisthUpd.exe.I am unsure whether to allow this as I have read conflicting reports about it being a trojan.I did uninstall avast completely and re-installed but this progam is still there.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
         Many Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Problem since yesterdays update
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »
The file belongs to avast! (at least when in avast! installation folder).
However, I would really like to know why it's not recognized and reported as unidentified... could you please upload the file (VisthUpd.exe) here, or upload it to our FTP? (ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming)
Thanks.

numbskull

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:59:14 PM »
Hi Igor thank you for your reply.

I am a complete novice as regards doing what you ask in uploading the file and I don't know whether it is in the  avast! installation folder or not. However when I click to do the update the box that comes up says user account control an unidentified program wants access to the computer. Underneath this it says

Don't run this program unless you know where it is from or you've used it before.
                       VisthUpd.exe
              unidentified publisher

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\VisthUpd.exe"/vps

Then under that there is the option to cancel or allow.
I hope that this will help  as I am really scared to attempt to upload this file when I don't know what I'm doing.
             Thank You once again.

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:19:59 AM »
Hi...

Your skull isn't numb and your question proves it! :)

And even if it was, it doesn't matter anyway, you're more important than you may realize. Read the Verse next to my avatar for more details. ;)

If you're using an e-mail client like Outlook Express, here's one way to do it. Click on "My Computer"---->then "C" drive---->then "Program Files"---->then "Alwil Software"---->then "Avast4." Down toward the bottom, you should see "VisthUpd.exe." Right click on this icon and in the munu that pops up, click on "Send to" and then "Mail Recipient." Then in the message box, type in "virus(at symbol)avast.com. This should send a copy of the .exe file to Alwil so they can check it out. If your e-mail service provider doesn't accept sending exe's, only archive files (zip, rar, etc.) then you will need to find a program that will create it. I wasn't able to do this on the laptop I'm writing this with using Windows XP's file compression program.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:55:20 AM »
Alternatively, I'd like to know what happens if you right-click the file, choose Properties and go to the Digital Signatures page. Normally, it should show a line saying "ALWIL Software", and when you highlight it and choose Details, you should get information like "This digital signature is OK".

Can you please confirm?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

junji

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:49:51 PM »
I have somewhat a similar incident, this never happened before, but anyway I've attached three images to show that this is from avast, I thought this was a virus or something, it was a scare at first seeing those warning dialog boxes. I'm wondering why can't Vista associate this with Avast, should I install the certificate also?

I have not installed the update just yet maybe this will update itself again later, but... I was hoping for anyone to comment on this first on why avast update wasn't identified by Vista when for a few months now it was able to recognize avast, but after the last program update I had, this issue came out.

Thanks