Author Topic: a good combination with avast against malwares ?  (Read 2571 times)

carioca

a good combination with avast against malwares ?
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:11:14 AM »
 ???
hi, buddies,
what about the threatfire, drivesentry, geswall (freeware), spyware terminator and ssm (system safety monitor) because I read good opinions abouth them? I meant in order to furnish extra protections to the avast av scanner due to lack of heuristics scan at the moment ( avast 5.0 will have proactive protection).they have stated they protect very well te pc against threats and malwares and they supply what a regular antivirus doesn't make. are they a good combination with avast and superantispyware? could you give to us your hints and experience about hardening it? I mean something with low resources not to get your pc a tortoise to harden it. best regards.

8)

wyrmrider

Re: a good combination with avast against malwares ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:50:30 AM »

AH which OS and Browser and Firewall?
Spyware terminator is not in the same class with threatfire and SSM
I recommend you look into them separately as well as the Virtual Machines

Forget the Heuristics hype
Avast -gen method works just fine without all of the false positives that you get with aggressive heuristics (even with a whitelist)
You like Heuristics and are surfing where first day exploits are likely to be found (naughty naughty)
try a bit-defender on demand scan

Avast will co-exist with superantispyware, malwarebytes antimalware, spybot search and destroy
Free real time run at boot up antispyware is hard to find
you can try Spybots SD-Helper if you have IE installed (even if you just use it for updates and Kaspersky scans) and T-timer however t-timer will take some resources first time it runs (there is no free lunch)

If you try spyware terminator use the custom installation and do not load unwanted toolbars etc
Scotty the win patrol watchdog is light on resources and will pop up must changes to your system allwing them to be reversed or dealt with- this is a scanner not a preventer like SSM or TF

report back you experiences