Author Topic: decompression bomb  (Read 4408 times)

Yeebug

decompression bomb
« on: August 21, 2008, 02:51:41 AM »
Okay, so I may need help, and I may not.  Avast said it couldn't scan a file because it was a decompression bomb.  The file is
C:\Documents and Settings\Liza Purdy\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\npnkwr7a.default\Cache\DB780835d01
I tried to go to this and delete it, and under Liza Purdy, there is no Local Settings available to select, so I couldn't even find the file.  I wanted to delete it, because it just appeared, and I haven't done anything new, downloaded anything, etc.  So it shouldn't even be there.  I guess.  I am fairly ignorant about computers, so could someone help me and let me know if this is a bad thing, or if I can just leave it?  I really appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Faizfast6

Re: decompression bomb
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:21:45 AM »
It's not a virus...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 03:36:26 AM »
"decompression bomb" sounds sinister, but it refers to a file that has an unusual or repeated compression, analogous, say, to a multi-zipped file. The presence of one sometimes merits further investigation, but doesn't mean there is malware on the machine.
To find it, you have to follow the full application path,(open "C", then open "documents and settings"etc) and  show hidden  files, under folder options. "Local settings" is a hidden file, normally.
You will find that if you delete your temporary internet files, it will go.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Faizfast6

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:05:26 AM »
Yep, avast! detected an .iso file in my PC as a decompression bomb but the contents are safe.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 04:12:50 AM »

Usually, the only danger from a decompression bomb is when the file is decompressed or unzipped. The results can be that your hard drive is overloaded with useless data ... depending on the size of the decompression bomb as well as the size of your hard drive and/or the amount of free space on your hard drive. This can cause you many problems.