Author Topic: please tell me whats wrong here  (Read 5324 times)

Daddyboy

please tell me whats wrong here
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:04:56 AM »
i have avast 4 and when I run a virus scan it come up with a window that says there is not enough space on C drive .
it stops at this every time , about 60% into a scan
anyone know how this can be fixed
my HDD is only showing 1/2 used , so that should be plenty of space

wyrmrider

Re: please tell me whats wrong here
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:06:58 AM »
which os? how big is your C drive
can you try a boot time scan - rt click the ball and schedule?
run ccleaner first
did ccleaner find much?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:28:52 PM »
I wonder if maybe you've got a fair number of large archives (ZIPs, CABs, JARs, etc.) and there's not enough room to unpack them.

Do you have archive-checking enabled when you try to scan?  If so, do you still get the same problem if you disable that?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:57:13 PM »
You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

Daddyboy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 07:46:31 AM »
thanks for the replys .
I will try the cc cleaner first
what cc software is the best
are they fool proof
can I delete something that I shouldnt have after I have done a scan ?
the problem is not on my pc its on a mates on so I will let you know what happens

willywonka2

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:40:46 AM »
hi when i had avast everytime i click on like settings the word of settings stay on my desktop and when i click on skins it does the samething and only time it will go off is if i restart my computer ......it never did this before untell i had to reistall it and thats when it started i try to unstill it and re install it again and its still the same plz let me know whats going on ty..and is that avast 5.0 out yet just let me know what i can do about that avast 4.8 ty

rassel

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
hi when i had avast everytime i click on like settings the word of settings stay on my desktop and when i click on skins it does the samething and only time it will go off is if i restart my computer ......it never did this before untell i had to reistall it and thats when it started i try to unstill it and re install it again and its still the same plz let me know whats going on ty..and is that avast 5.0 out yet just let me know what i can do about that avast 4.8 ty

Hai Willy start a new thread of you own so that it doesn't get confused. Thanks.

olddog

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
thanks for the replys .
I will try the cc cleaner first
what cc software is the best
are they fool proof
can I delete something that I shouldnt have after I have done a scan ?
the problem is not on my pc its on a mates on so I will let you know what happens

Daddyboy,
Registry cleaners and the like, CCleaner for example, are tools. If you understand them they can be an asset, if you don't they can potentially do a lot of damage. They are definitely not foolproof.

Taking CCleaner as an example, if you are not experienced with this type of utility, I suggest after you install it, and before you run any scans, you untick every item. Then go through each item in turn - if you  know what it does, and it is what you want, tick it. If you don't understand it, then don't tick it.

As always when working on someone elses PC take extra care, they won't thank you if you make a mistake!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
Taking CCleaner as an example, if you are not experienced with this type of utility, I suggest after you install it, and before you run any scans, you untick every item. Then go through each item in turn - if you  know what it does, and it is what you want, tick it. If you don't understand it, then don't tick it.
Ok, it's not foolproof but, indeed, it's not a dangerous tool. It's safe, it's conservative, not aggressive. The defaults are safe.

olddog

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
Ok, it's not foolproof but, indeed, it's not a dangerous tool. It's safe, it's conservative, not aggressive. The defaults are safe.

Tech, I make a lot of use of CCleaner myself, however with respect, some would consider default settings which remove Spybot logs, Zone Alarm logs, Windows log files and affect the operation of 3rd party cookie controls by removal of index.dat files not all that conservative. I stand by my previous statement that the safe approach for those who have not used CCleaner before, is to go through its options before letting it loose, and only tick those items they understand and want removed. This is particularly important if CCleaner has been installed in an attempt to overcome a problem, the answer to which might well be contained in one of the above log files.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »
Tech, I make a lot of use of CCleaner myself, however with respect, some would consider default settings which remove Spybot logs, Zone Alarm logs, Windows log files and affect the operation of 3rd party cookie controls by removal of index.dat files not all that conservative.
Maybe you're right... but when you're cleaning, you're cleaning... It's good to get rid from logs that you never read, cookies that shouldn't be there...

I stand by my previous statement that the safe approach for those who have not used CCleaner before, is to go through its options before letting it loose, and only tick those items they understand and want removed. This is particularly important if CCleaner has been installed in an attempt to overcome a problem, the answer to which might well be contained in one of the above log files.
Yeah, maybe we need to be more cautious... but, really, I don't think the cookies and that particular logs will help in anyway the common user...