Author Topic: I have a problem to update AVAST  (Read 6518 times)

prettyhoney_b

I have a problem to update AVAST
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:23:48 AM »
Every time I update AVAST, the pop up error has come up said that
"Other HTTP error (404). while trying 75.126.203.72:80//iavs4x/vps-8082400.vpu"

Please advise.
thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I have a problem to update AVAST
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:25:07 PM »
Please, post the last 200-250 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log

Which is your operational system? Firewall?
Does the automatic update work?
The best things in life are free.

FinnEire

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »
Same issue we are all having in post titled "My Avast do something weird"  (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38107.0)

I assume none of us who have posted have come to a resolution and nobody on this board can help.  May have to ditch Avast.  :(

Finn 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:47:52 PM »
Same issue we are all having in post titled "My Avast do something weird"  (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38107.0)

I assume none of us who have posted have come to a resolution and nobody on this board can help.  May have to ditch Avast.  :(

Finn 
So it will be better to keep just one thread opened... duplicate threads will only duplicate the effort of help.

irwann

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 06:46:47 AM »
Please, post the last 200-250 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log

Which is your operational system? Firewall?
Does the automatic update work?

I'm new at this so don't know if I'm doing this correctly. I'm having the same problem. A red popup comes up and says "Avast Information An Error has occurred while trying to update..." When I click on the popup the following shows "Information about current update: Last encountered error: Other HTTP error (404), while trying 74.55.74.2:80/iavs4x/vps-8090200.vpu". I don't see any resolution in this posting area. Sometimes I get the same red popup and when I click it says something about VisthAux. Sorry don't remember the message. My operating system is Windows Vista. Firewall Windows Defender. I think the automatic update works but don't know for sure since the usual message confirming the update successful doesn't come up. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:01:29 AM by irwann »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:58:22 AM »
irwann
It may be only coincidence but all with this problem so far have been in Thailand. Where are you?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

thaidomain

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
Hello,

We have the same problem here, and yes, also located in Thailand, using the local TRUE ADSL service.
These are the last two lines in the log (the lost line we also get after clicking the red popup indicating an update did not work.

08.09.2008 15:42:37 package: ERROR MakeVps LoadFullPackage: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\vps-8090200.vpu, error 0x00000002
08.09.2008 15:42:37 general: Err:Other HTTP error (404), while trying 75.125.223.162:80//iavs4x/vps-8090200.vp

Are you saying this has something to do with an ISP provider. Would it somehow help to remove AVAST and reinstall the latest version?

Best greetings.
Guido, Bangkok (Thailand)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »
I'm not saying anything for sure because I really don't know. :( An ISP's proxy cache might return this sort of error if the file's actual source is unreachable.

You could try temporarily changing your DNS settings to OpenDNS to see if it makes any difference. Various OS instructions here.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:25:47 PM by Vladimyr »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »
Firewall Windows Defender.
Windows Defender is an antispyware tool, not a firewall.
Probably you're using Windows firewall itself.

I think the automatic update works but don't know for sure since the usual message confirming the update successful doesn't come up. Thanks
Can you post the log you've quoted before?
I mean, post the last 200-250 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log

thaidomain

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »
I'm not saying anything for sure because I really don't know. Sad An ISP's proxy cache might return this sort of error if the file's actual source is unreachable.

You could try temporarily changing your DNS settings to OpenDNS to see if it makes any difference. Various OS instructions here.

I just tried it, closed my computer and restarted it. Still getting the same message in red. (at least now I am aware of something called OpenDNS). Any other ideas?

Best greetings.
Guido, Bangkok

rossk

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:58:36 AM »
I am also in Thailand and have the same problem.  Can't update when using True ADSL, but can update when connected to JI-Net.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 04:06:16 AM »
I'm not saying anything for sure because I really don't know. Sad An ISP's proxy cache might return this sort of error if the file's actual source is unreachable.

I just tried it, closed my computer and restarted it. Still getting the same message in red. (at least now I am aware of something called OpenDNS). Any other ideas?

Best greetings.
Guido, Bangkok

Not really. The OpenDNS idea was just something easy to try with an outside chance of success. (OpenDNS is a good thing in itself anyway but that's another issue.) As rosek's post suggests, I still think it's got something to do with particular Thai ISPs but as to exactly what... :-\  Is anyone getting 404 errors on any other occasions e.g. while browsing?

thaidomain

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 07:32:24 AM »
Well,

For the moment, the problem has disappeared (I managed to update files and program 'manually' after a few attempts). One thing I forgot to mention, it all happened after my Firefox browser was upgraded to version 3, and after my computer had been resting for a few weeks (during a holiday).
Hopefully, any other Thai customers are as lucky. Will come back if problem recurs.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »
For the moment, the problem has disappeared (I managed to update files and program 'manually' after a few attempts).
If you can manually update, you could establish a connection. The problem could be on your ISP.

One thing I forgot to mention, it all happened after my Firefox browser was upgraded to version 3, and after my computer had been resting for a few weeks (during a holiday).
The avast update has nothing to do with your browser...