Author Topic: Corrupt File.  (Read 4772 times)

Spike1972

Corrupt File.
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:45:02 AM »
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but here goes.

When I booted up this morning, after a week away - during which my puter wasn't used - I got the following windows pop-up:

The file or directory C:\ProgramFiles\ALWILS~\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log is corrupt and undreadable. Please run the Chkdsk untility.

--------

If that last bit means start>run> and type in Chkdsk, and Run, then I've done that, with seemingly no effect.

I've done a manual update of Avast and am currently running a scan.

Can anyone help, please?

Thank you.

ETA -

I've completed a scan and whilst there were no infeced files, I received this notice at the end of the scan:

Name Of File:
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_av_prol.tm~a04020.setup.lok

Result:
Unable To Scan: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:26:23 PM by Spike1972 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Corrupt File.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
I don't really know if it is corrupt or not, if it where I would have thought avast's integrity checker would resolve it but perhaps not.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. I'm not too hopeful that this would work on a log file.

If not try disabling the avast self-defence module, Program Settings, Troubleshooting section. Now you could go to that folder and rename the file to setup.old. Now reboot and that should I believe replace that file with a new setup.log.

I wouldn't worry about files that can't be scanned as it is only an indication it can't be scanned not that it is infected, etc. I don't know what this file is or if it is even something to do with setup.log or not. A google search on _av_prol.tm~ doesn't return many hits and none very helpful.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spike1972

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »
Thank you.

Remember I said I ran "chckdsk" yesterday and nothing much happened? Well today when I booted up, it seemed to continue doing whatever it was doing (part 2 of 3 although I didn't see it do part 3), before it booted up properly. Yesterday it didn't mention anything about rebooting.

Anyway, today, after it finally did whatever it was doing and booted up, there are no more messages about corrupt files or anything, so....?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:17:18 PM »
Good luck Spike... Seems that files/disk problems were corrected ;)
The best things in life are free.

Spike1972

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »
Seems it's fixed.......even if I don't know how  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the feed back, I'm glad that it is finally resolved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security