Author Topic: Suspected false-positive in WinXP partition pagefile.sys  (Read 10002 times)

hlingler

Suspected false-positive in WinXP partition pagefile.sys
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:16 AM »
Code: [Select]
2009-02-18 00:00:18     Found virus 'Win32:Adloader-AC [Trj]' in file '/mnt/c_drive/pagefile.sys'.
avast4workstation-1.3.0-1.i586.rpm
VDB 90216-1, 02-16-2009
Fedora 8, kernel-2.6.26.8-57.fc8.i686 (+ WinXP MCE SP2)

Thanks,
V

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Suspected false-positive in WinXP partition pagefile.sys
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »
Why do you think this is a false positive? Was any action taken (send to chest/delete/ ignore)?
If it has been sent to the chest, you may be able to email it to Avast.
I'm not sure if pagefile items can actually be sent to the chest, be interesting to know.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »
More info about this nature of detection here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38998.0
May be a false positive. As DavidR mentioned, the pagefile is something of a fluid beast.
There is a registry setting that can be applied to delete it at every Windows shutdown, should you be concerned. (Got this setting from MS. The KB article indicated that in rare circumstances, malware could hide itself in the pagefile. It makes shutdown take a minute or so longer.)

hlingler

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
No, certainly no action was taken: this is a 682 MB Win XP swapfile (pagefile.sys). Nor do I think that I can e-mail it to anyone. Will check out that other thread - thanks for the link (I searched, but did not see that thread).

V

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:59:39 AM »
Oo, so it would have tried to quarantine the entire file? That would have been interesting. Probably impossible, given the default size of the chest.
The search term I used was just the name of the detection, originally on Google, then on the Avast forum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »
Most certainly a false positive of the Linux version. But it could be that your Windows load something (malware or unencrypted signatures) into memory... I'll add an exclusion to Linux and scan withing Windows again.
The best things in life are free.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »
2009-02-18 00:00:18     Found virus 'Win32:Adloader-AC [Trj]' in file '/mnt/c_drive/pagefile.sys'.
VDB 90216-1, 02-16-2009

Thanks,
V

Infection in swapfile - might be sideeffect of infected windows partition (signature found in some swapped-out page), or false positive.
depends on the nature of detection.

Namely, Adloader-AC [trj] detection is signature based, and thus, probably, the signature was really present in the pagefile, and there's possibility that the system which wrote the pagefile might be infected.

The signature is unique enough to cause FP-collisions accidentally :)

regards,
pc

May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:16:58 PM »
VDB 90216-1, 02-16-2009

Thanks,
V

Infection in swapfile - might be sideeffect of infected windows partition (signature found in some swapped-out page), or false positive.
depends on the nature of detection.

Namely, Adloader-AC [trj] detection is signature based, and thus, probably, the signature was really present in the pagefile, and there's possibility that the system which wrote the pagefile might be infected.

The signature is unique enough to cause FP-collisions accidentally :)

regards,
pc

Have a look for "by Zufyxe" string in the file, that's the location of Adloader-AC [trj] infection.
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

hlingler

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »
Yeah, I thought that it might be a case of the virus signature being present in the WinXP swapfile:
~]$ grep 'by Zufyxe' /mnt/c_drive/pagefile.sys
Binary file /mnt/c_drive/pagefile.sys matches
[Vince@localhost Wed Feb 18 09:55:24 ~]$ grep --binary-files=text 'by Zufyxe' /mnt/c_drive/pagefile.sys |less
[...]
SMA M.8 Core. by Zufyxe
[...]
Thanks Guys,
V