Author Topic: We shield not working  (Read 2043 times)

silverlady

We shield not working
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:15:30 PM »
Help required please,

I have noticed since updating to Avast 4.8 that out of 8 providers only 5 are running. The ones that aren't running are 2 lots of web shield and outlook exchange. One of the versions of webshield is greyed out and I did click on it to start but nothing has happened. The other tab of webshield states that the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start even when I am on the net. I have tried to fix it by disabling it then restating but nothing happens.

Don't use outlook so I don't need that running.  Just concerned about web shield

I am a bit of a numpty on the computer so any advise please make as simple as poss

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: We shield not working
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »
What version of avast are you using Home or Pro ?
What is your OS ?

The Home version has 7 providers and normally there will only be 6 running (unless you have MS Outlook, not express installed). There should be no duplicates in the providers list, so if you have duplicates then there is something wrong with your installation.

It would probably be best to do a clean reinstall.
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

silverlady

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »
Hi David R

Many thanks for your help and advice .  All sorted now and is all  Running correctly.

:D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security