Author Topic: Beagle-AS  (Read 3740 times)

Gillie2tat

Beagle-AS
« on: December 07, 2004, 11:17:16 AM »
Someone in a class I'm teaching over at VU has the Beagle-AS variant on her computer.  I'm getting her to turn off System Restore and scan in Safe Mode before we come over here for help but I've also had her run the free cleaning tool which does not seem to have worked.

I'm wondering whether the variant Beagle-AS is one it can deal with because it's not on your list of the programs the free tool can deal with.  If it isn't shouldn't Avast itself be able to sort it out?

It may just be that she's getting the alerts she says she's getting when she downloads e-mail in which case it's just a matter of deleting the infected e-mails but she's not very clear about what's happening so I hope you don't mind a quick check up on this one.

Many thanks!

whocares

Re:Beagle-AS
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 11:47:12 AM »
she's not very clear about what's happening

Hi, neither are we...  ;D

Without some details, e.g. path/folder/filenames of infected files, & Windowsversion (XP?), Email-Program etc., it's just guessing:

But there are other Cleanup/Removal-Tools out there, if you can't manage it with avast-mainscanner or manually:

VGREP

--> follow the red links to Trendmicro, Symantec/mcafee

;)

Gillie2tat

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 11:52:34 AM »
Yup that's exactly the situation I'm in, no info about operating system or what's happening when or what she's running or anything - I'm guessing that it's XP home user service pack 2 but could be wrong!  I'm doing my best but it's tricky:) thank you so much for the link.  Will share that with her.

I also suggested she get her Avast logs out and post that which would give some clues as to what's happening.

Also told her if it's just bombarding her with alerts as she downloads e-mail it's probably perfectly OK.  But it may not be that at all - don't know at the moment.

If scanning in Safe Mode doesn't work I'll have to send her over here:)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 01:19:43 PM »
If she has XP (and as you suggested disable system restore, reboot) then get her to 'Schedule a Boot-Time Scan...' from the menu in the Simple User Interface.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gillie2tat

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 01:49:48 PM »
Okaydoke will do - once she's done safe mode scan and seen if that works or not.

whocares

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 04:35:17 PM »
IF the worm is actual in a Mail or mail-file/archive
Be Careful, that she doesn't move or delete her whole INBOX (depends on Mail-program & avast settings):
Info -> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=4818;start=45

-> "EmailClients ..." ;)

Gillie2tat

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 07:18:24 PM »
Ahah!  That happened to somebody else in the class who was working on their own and nobody could work it out!  Thanks!