Author Topic: Firefox, Chrome, Avast all crash and won't restart  (Read 3380 times)

dbiconnect

Firefox, Chrome, Avast all crash and won't restart
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:18:13 AM »
As it says above...after I had a FF crash, I restarted the computer (running Vista home) and neither FF nor Chrome browsers will start up at all. Avast (home edition) also wouldn't start. I've uninstalled Avast and Chrome; reinstalled FF twice. No luck. Anyone else encounter this?

rockernault

Re: Firefox, Chrome, Avast all crash and won't restart
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:27:32 AM »
well  i´ve  had a lot of Chrome crashes   and avast!  is still  working

karrronn

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »
I downloaded the Home edition today.  After downloading, I could not access the internet through either IE-7 or Firefox.  I eventually solved the problem by "terminating" the Web Shield provider.  The other six providers remain active. My concern is that by having to terminate the Web Shield provider, I am not getting any protection when I'm surfing the web. 

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:11:04 AM »
I downloaded the Home edition today.  After downloading, I could not access the internet through either IE-7 or Firefox.  I eventually solved the problem by "terminating" the Web Shield provider.  The other six providers remain active. My concern is that by having to terminate the Web Shield provider, I am not getting any protection when I'm surfing the web. 

do you use personal firewall? Have you configured it to allow Webshield's process (ashwebsv.exe) to connect to the Internet ?

karrronn

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »

Lukor, I tried your suggestion since I had incorrectly applied DavidR's advice previously.  This time I removed the ashServ.exe program from ZoneAlarm.  Then I activated the Web Shield and successfully accessed the internet.  Interestingly, ZA did NOT prompt me for permission, but since I don't care if it does allow the service, I'm happy. 

Thanks again for your help.