Author Topic: Can Avast boot PC and run a boot scan?  (Read 3703 times)

dtwilliams

Can Avast boot PC and run a boot scan?
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:08:59 AM »
We use Avast in our company and i was wondering if it's possible to schedule Avast to boot a PC and run a boot scan overnight?

I know how to schedule a boot scan, but you know what it's like with users, even if i ask them to leave their computers switched on so that Avast can perform a boot scan overnight, they always forget, then when they switch them on in the morning they have to wait for Avast to run its scan, and can't start working till it finished, usually around 10am.

I know I could get them to cancel the scan, but ideally i would like to run a regular boot scan on all over companies computers.

Any one got any ideas? Does anyone know if Active Directory Group Policies could be used to prevent people from shutting down their PC's on the 1st of each month?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can Avast boot PC and run a boot scan?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »
avast can't start (turn on) a computer and run a boot time scanning.
You can schedule it, start it and let it run overnight.
But, the better will be just scheduling a full scanning within Windows. avast Pro allows that.
You don't have to run it at boot time.
To run in more computers, consider running ADNM version and scheduling from there.
The best things in life are free.

dtwilliams

Re: Can Avast boot PC and run a boot scan?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
Hi

Thanks for replying. We do use the ADNM version and i have set up all our PC's to do a full scan on the 1st of every month, which works well.

However, the scan does impact on the performance of the PC's, especially on our developers PCs.

Ideally, i'd like to be able to run a boot scan overnight so as not to affect people during the working day. Also the boot scan is good as it should capturing anything suspect before booting into Windows.

Oh well, not to worry, i'll see if i can get Group policies to prevent people from shutting down their PC's on a specific day.

Thanks anyway.

Dan