Author Topic: Zone Alarm  (Read 11085 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Zone Alarm
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »
Hi Eminem,

Not if you had blocked them by setting Program Control to high, else at MEDIUM they should ask you to give them rights. But if an installer bypasses that, and you have given the executable access upon demand (and also the others by doing so), the firewall did not do that, YOU did. The user always has the last word, so by installing unwanted software you can fool the FW in allowing things, that you would not allow if you knew it was rogue or unwanted or riskware or what have you for undesirables,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Eminem

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 09:50:43 PM »
i think its automatic or something cuz it has never asked to do that.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 10:02:07 PM »
Hi Eminem,

So we have to be alerted to watch out for  these things always. that is why one updates and patches and checks one's third party software through PSI Secunia. Then for your normal online activities use just the normal user rights, meaning that 92% of the known malware cannot wreak havoc on the OS. These policies are also known as using SafeHex. If unwanted code can run like System on a full Admin account, it can do whatever it wants, if it is not found by a scanner etc. Use full admin rights only when you have to get your updates to install, download software that you are absolutely certain about it won't hurt, so full rights only when you absolutely cannot do without it. You will thank me for this advice, because that is how a lot of users stayed malware free for years and years....

pol

Eminem

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 12:06:35 AM »
it is set on normal i am sort of worried. Also if while i am not at home someone could press access or deny who gets on the computer when im not here so i don't know... I'm not really liking Zone Alarm or any firewall. They are all too confusing.

Eminem

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 12:08:34 AM »
I don't get why it only automatically happens with windows applications though.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 12:38:14 AM »
Probably because with a lot of software, Windows systems and subsystems are used as part of the connection to the internet.
It is actually quite confusing, this firewall rules business.
My only advice is to not install anything willy nilly without checking first.
Especially toolbars. Who needs 'em? They are, in my opinion, the cyber-equivalent of supersizing your burger and large fries. Promise much; deliver little.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Eminem

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 12:39:22 AM »
so its normal that it automatically gave the windows operating system applications internet access?

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 12:46:38 AM »
I'm not sure if you are planning on running Vista but if you think ZoneAlarm is confusing then wait until you use Vista.

By the way, I do not use any software firewall as they are redundant unless you are a click-happy-chappy that likes every toolbar and ActiveX extension going.

Eminem

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 12:47:42 AM »
I think Zone Alarm is easy to use i am just very confused about it giving automatic access without asking me.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 01:15:11 AM »
Hi Eminem,

With ZA it is very easy, you just have to look at the colors and know what these stand for, a green color is something that you have seen before, a purple is something is contacting out to the Big Bad Net,
other color means it is asking you for the first time - rethink your action there, second time it knows you clicked that option before and it turns green. Can be confusing when you cannot get the traffic lights apart, for the rest you can get accustomed to it, then you have the option allow and deny.
With programs and processes you know to be on your machine all is easy. Just memorize this scheme and you are rather secure,

polonus