Author Topic: Avast! Home v4.8.1335 default beep (ding.wav) when starting Avast!  (Read 3773 times)

John_E

Running the above on Vista Premium 32 bit and generally have no problems. Recently when starting Avast into the main interface right after the splash screen and just before memory scan I get the Windows default beep. Can't see anything on screen, Avast logs or event viewer.

I had this happen several months ago (don't recall which version of 4.8) and don't recall how I stopped it. Maybe an Avast repair? Has anyone else had this happen or know what's causing it?

Not a big deal but one wonders why it occurs.

Thanks...
John in STL

Jtaylor83

Re: Avast! Home v4.8.1335 default beep (ding.wav) when starting Avast!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »
What is your firewall?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »
If you double click into ashSimp2.exe from avast folder, will it run?
Do you have any other antivirus in this computer? Had in the past? How did you remove it?
The best things in life are free.

John_E

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »
Only the Windows Vista firewall is running.

Clicking on AshSimp2.exe brings up the interface (no memory scanning like starting from right clicking Avast icon in system tray>Start Avast! antivirus). It goes into the interface silent without a "ding" sound.

Norton antivirus 2008 was pre-installed on this HP laptop but was removed immediately with the removal tool at which time Avast has been installed and running ever since (May 2008).

Keep in mind Avast seems to run fine, scans, etc. It's just the mysterious beep sound that bothers me on normal startup.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
It's just the mysterious beep sound that bothers me on normal startup.
Do you mean the interface open correctly and just the strange sound is the problem?

John_E

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:03:49 PM »
Tech - Sorry for not clearly explaining, but yes. Only the sound (which to me indicates an error somehere) is a problem. Everything else, to my knowledge, works OK.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:19:03 AM »
Sorry, the silly question, but isn't the UAC ding, is it?
I've tested mine, no sound besides the UAC one.

John_E

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »
Tech - No, UAC is turned off.

I looked back on the forum and found my same incident from last July here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37517.msg314106#msg314106

Seems I completely uninstalled and reinstalled then to correct the problem. I'm not likely to do that again unless we suspect Avast may not be working properly. I really think it's a Vista thing, but who knows?

Thanks for helping...
John

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »
Mysteries ::) ::)

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 08:01:14 PM »

Have you looked in "Event Viewer" to see if any entries there might give a clue?

John_E

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 12:15:16 AM »
Hi, Charley. Yes, at least as far as my knowledge level will permit. I could not swear an event is hidden somewhere in the numerous Microsoft logs, but not in what I think to be the usual places.

I do have one other application that has the same behavior with no ill effects. Outlook 2003 was installed by me on this Vista laptop the first day. The next day I installed the Microsoft Outlook Backup Addin for the pst file. Functions fine but when executed gives the Windows "ding" and then backs up the pst file. No message or event there either.

Thanks,
John