Author Topic: Infected website  (Read 6729 times)

micky77

Re: Infected website
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
YoKenny what  are you talking about. 
The whole concept of SB, is whatever shit is in the box, gets flushed away,when you empty the box. You would have to be an imbecile, to go to windows update site ( sandboxed ) and install updates. ( although, i believe, some do, to test updates on there system )
House on sand  ;D ;D ;D
For mere browsing,opening email attatchments,  SB, is perfect.
I download dodgy files, i run them sandboxed. My AV is watching all the time. I can scan my sandbox, with online scanners, or mbam, sas.
Yes of course, you should set windows updates to auto or notify, but the person you are talking about, doesn't even know how to use SB, and has obviously, for his own reasons, chosen not to update to sp3.
EDIT: iam currently at this moment browsing sandboxed, and downloading windows updates ( what a coincidence )

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:24:59 AM by micky77 »

Pedro Hin

Re: Infected website
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 01:15:24 PM »
Have a read of the FAQ http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FrequentlyAskedQuestions especially the part ' How does Sandboxie protect me, technically? '

Not all programs will run sandboxed. Quote "  Sandboxie also prevents programs executing inside the sandbox from loading drivers directly. It also prevents programs from asking a central system component, known as the Service Control Manager, to load drivers on their behalf. In this way, drivers, and more importantly, rootkits, cannot be installed by a sandboxed program. "

Also there is a possibility that malware can read sensitive info on your pc. In the paid version programs can be forced to open sandboxed, and internet access allowed to only certain programs. So that malware inside the box cannot transmit data.
Remember nothing is 100% bullet proof. There is a discussion ongoing that Comodo firewall is actually able  to pull a file out of a sandbox, infecting the pc. Although this has not been proven.
Some people on wilders have tested some nasty stuff sandboxed, as far as i am aware nothing escaped. ( yet  ;D )

So now i've read most of the FAQ and have been playing around with Sandboxie  a bit. I am very pleased with this application. I have a pretty good feel for what it can do.

I have a customer who has a few employees constantly getting into trouble with malware. We discussed the use of Sun Virtualbox, or Microsoft Virtual PC, but there's the licensing issue with multiple copies of Windows XP.

Something like this might just be the way to keep them out of trouble.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:19:59 PM by Pedro Hin »