Author Topic: Could not move Win32-VB-Gen2/pagefile.sys  (Read 2658 times)

cudaviper

Could not move Win32-VB-Gen2/pagefile.sys
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »
hi all,
 friends computer would not boot, removed his sata HD and put in mine, was able to get his pictures, expecting the worst, and ran avast on just that drive. found 48 virus and move all to chest except this one. win32-vb-gen2/pagefile.sys.
i increased size of chest and size of files to move but still got told the chest could not move it to it. should i try to repair or delete, a bit nervous as i would like to keep the HD intact without a complete reformat.
at this point i am not sure what to do, can anyone help in this matter. 
thanks and thank you at avast. great product..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Could not move Win32-VB-Gen2/pagefile.sys
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:53:26 PM »
That file is a temporary memory file (pagefile), don't worry about them.
After cleaning with avast, moving back to the original computer, could you boot it?
The best things in life are free.

cudaviper

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
hi,
thanks for the reply, i put his HD back in and fired it up. it loaded normally but....isn't there always a but, at the sign in screen, it allowed me to put in his password, flashed his desktop background, and began to shutdown.  Now I am able to load the Knoppix/Linux CD OS, the one that runs from the CD,  and I have access to his whole computer, i am in the process of recovering all his photos and music just in case. he gave me some disks that came with his Dell, one being a reinstallation CD, which I have never used before. Now question one, if I were to use it, would it erase and reinstall, which i dont want, 2, if I took out his HD and put back in mine and ran Avast again, when it got to the pagefile.sys virus, should I click repair or delete, since it will not move to chest.?
 He has quite a bit of other work on his machine that I am sure he would not want to lose and where it is not beyond me coping, it would be a pain...any other options I have missed? I tried loading avast from a usb drive while in Linux and didn't have a clue how to, it wasn't the normal install procedure and found myself lost again.
your help is greatly appreciated.
regards
cudaviper
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:44:40 PM by cudaviper »

cudaviper

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
well,
 this is the end of the story, the last issue was after running the repair from the original winxp cd, it still signed off right after sigining on.  i read where it was a wsaupdater.exe file that had swapped itself with the original userinit.exe file. found several ways to repair this but none work on this particular computer mainly because i could never get xp to load.
 so, reinstalled xp with "leave intact-no changes". this did allow me to load windows and access the files but still not the folder of the guy that had all the pictures and personal data. for this you are going to need the linux cd that loads a OS from the cd. Knoppix is the name i believe. from there I could find all his pictures and music by looking at the HD without restrictions. But I could still not find that wsaupdater.exe file with it. Must learn linux a bit more...
So, presently doing a complete format of his computer, but this time he will have Avast and zonealarm in place and hopefully won't have to go through this again....or should i say i won't... plus in the future, he will be burning copies of his pixs, docs and music.  It is not a question of "IF" a HD will go down or get sick, it is when.
best regards,
cudaviper