Author Topic: Win32:Vitro...I see I'm not the only one...  (Read 4871 times)

Brushstroke

Win32:Vitro...I see I'm not the only one...
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:12:18 AM »
I've been looking around the forums for awhile now and I now realize that this is a relatively new virus and I'm not alone in getting infected by this beast. My other computer is in the shop now and I'm running my old Windows 98 PC until they call when it's ready (which they said would be in a few days). I wanted to get a bit more information about this virus though.

A friend of mine got it on my PC somehow, and he kept on telling me "Hey, hey, your anti-virus is picking something up!!! A lot of it...!" And so I came over there to find Vitro apparently infecting file after file after file. I tried sending some of them to the Virus Chest but they kept popping up and after a few seconds I just decided to do a force shutdown, disconnected the internet, and unhooked the computer, and it's now in the shop.

So, what did you all have to do to get rid of it?

...and who the hell made this monster? >:(

EDIT: I should add that before everything was unhooked, I tried to restart and log back on, but every time I tried to log onto an account, both my and my parents' administrator accounts, it would log on for a second and then immediately log off on its own. Did anyone else have this happen to them?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:17:26 AM by Brushstroke »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Win32:Vitro...I see I'm not the only one...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »
Hi Brushstroke,

Well, nice cool friend you have, did he carry it around on a pen-drive/USB-stick. How did he infect you?This file infector is very dangerous for the Windows systems lacking Vista file protection, and can ruin a machine beyond repair in no time. Some cleansing can be done in a very early stage when the user immediately switches to SafeMode, but in most of the cases this buggy file infector will go on and ruin the OS beyond repair, the only way to stop it is perform a "total recall", that is f-disk, format and re-install. So tell your friend to clean up the mess and not go on infecting, what I sketched above is also what your repairman will be doing for you, if some of the infection is still around in the form of infected files, pendrives, peripherals, they could easily reinfect again so give them the same rigorous cleansing procedures, or you must have had back-ups that were not infected from prior to your friends very unwelcome visit. I really do not know why they make such a problem about Conficker as this Vitro, latest virut aggressive file infectors will kill more XP machines as Conficker will, Vista is not vulnerable, so you might contemplate to upgrade as XP is nearing phase-out gradually,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Brushstroke

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:24:35 PM »
Hi Brushstroke,

Well, nice cool friend you have, did he carry it around on a pen-drive/USB-stick. How did he infect you?
He was looking on a torrent site for something and...well, it just happened. I don't believe he meant to.

This file infector is very dangerous for the Windows systems lacking Vista file protection, and can ruin a machine beyond repair in no time. Some cleansing can be done in a very early stage when the user immediately switches to SafeMode, but in most of the cases this buggy file infector will go on and ruin the OS beyond repair, the only way to stop it is perform a "total recall", that is f-disk, format and re-install. So tell your friend to clean up the mess and not go on infecting, what I sketched above is also what your repairman will be doing for you, if some of the infection is still around in the form of infected files, pendrives, peripherals, they could easily reinfect again so give them the same rigorous cleansing procedures, or you must have had back-ups that were not infected from prior to your friends very unwelcome visit.
I may give the people at the computer shop a call and let them know about what you've told me. Also, luckily no USB drives or other peripheral devices were on the PC when it was infected. You can also bet that I am very angry at my friend.

I really do not know why they make such a problem about Conficker as this Vitro, latest virut aggressive file infectors will kill more XP machines as Conficker will, Vista is not vulnerable, so you might contemplate to upgrade as XP is nearing phase-out gradually,

polonus
All I ask, is will I be able to recover anything?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »
Hi Brushstroke,

All that you had as separate backup's on DVDs, or USB sticks can be considered as rescued, all that you had online can be recovered, all on the infected machine cannot be trusted.
The main machine must be considered compromised until it has undergone a complete re-install, the hard disk wiped clean, a new format of it, and reinstall of drivers, OS etc. - so-called total recall method.
The Vitro file infector tries to infect all files it finds indiscriminantly, fails some, fails others partly, and is successful at infecting executables for instance but it does so in a random, and buggy way, making restoration of the files very questionable, but seen from being able to ruin the OS the malware works in a very, very sophisticated way, so the builder of this malcreation must be a very apt programmer to circumvent the Windows File Protection and firewall and run as sytem under the radar to infect as much files as it can infect, the way it launches the infection vector and how is explained in the other extensive forum thread of this malware, where I wrote on it extensively. If indeed you got this mishap from a Torrent Site I would also change all your passwords etc. because the machine as it was cannot be trusted anymore, compromised that is end of argument period.
People should know as this form of Torrent Site computing is not appreciated much by certain parties and the way P2P-ing is considered upon by the content industry, that persisting into these online activities without protective measures is not for the unaware, because the risk of getting infected with malware etc. is very real and substantial as you just experienced, but also trusted sites are getting malware infested more and more, because webmasters do a bad job in protecting visitors from malware-injecting.

When you get your machine back when it is clean, make regular back-ups and stash these away safe in case of such a disaster, upgrade and patch all your third party software using Secunia PSI 1.0.0.4,
download the latest patches for your Operational System, and install apt layered protection, e.g. only one resident av-solution like avast, some non-resident av tools to close the vulnerability window like DrWebCureIT latest version for instance on a pendrive or the portable non-resident ClamWin av,
two free anti-malware scanners like MBAM, SAS to give them a swirl every fortnight fully upgraded and updated, these proggies are free, SpywareBlaster for resident protection and a free software Firewall to top your protective measures. Stay safe and secure is the wish of,

polonus (malware fighter)

A-Vaste

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
Damn it. I hate Vitro. 

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:05:56 AM »
Hi A-Vaste,

There is not a soul in his right mind that has welcomed it. When fighting it a particular good advice is not to re-boot during cleansing because there the virus is going to get real destructive again and then recovery becomes almost impossible. So the cleansing should be done in one mega session and in SafeMode. Do not allow any files that came from an infected system back on, because you get the virulent infector back and you may have to start to cleanse from point zero again. For XP there is no rescue possible, because it circumvents the Windows File Protection there (later OS has an extra layer (mui) added) and also knows to circumvent the existing Windows FW, so the malcreant must know this particular OS as his own pant pocket to work such a destructible buggy file infector that absolutely and utterly is capable of destroying the Windows Operational System,

polonus

micky77

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 02:26:38 AM »
A friend of mine got it on my PC somehow, and he kept on telling me "Hey, hey, your anti-virus is picking something up!!! A lot of it...!" And so I came over there to find Vitro apparently infecting file after file after file.

Some friend  ::)  You should download all your stuff sandboxed, scan your box, recover from your box,then execute your file,by right clicking,and choosing run sandboxed

http://www.sandboxie.com/

A mod at MBAM thought virut escaped the box  ;D

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=12690&view=findpost&p=66244

He was wrong http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=34493#34493

cinchez

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:20:21 AM »
Maybe this will help u bro...

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-win32-vitro.html

-AnimeLover^^