Author Topic: Safe to Upgrade to Vista SP2 with avast's current version?  (Read 6310 times)

Solemn

Safe to Upgrade to Vista SP2 with avast's current version?
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
Well I must say this was a hard answer to come by.  I've done a lot of searching and have come to the conclusion that I'm lost on what to do here.  For the most part I've waited a long time to consider upgrading to SP2 just for stability reasons and it seems as if it's somewhat paying off.  The only thing I'm really waiting for is for the Java 6 update 14 (which has some documentation saying it can better support SP2 and Windows 7 among other things) to come on through the update tool in Java as it's odd seeing it available for manual download but not up for the update over these past few weeks (my Java's in perfectly good shape too at update 13).

Anyway I digressed a bit there as it was a similar concern of mine linked to the SP2 upgrade.  So, is it safe to upgrade to SP2 with avast's current version? I've noticed a bizarre slew of issues some people have encountered, such as auto-updating failing, control panel/security centre problems, etc. but I'm not sure if those are more situational than anything else.  Are there any good stories to hear that can better re-assure me or tips to take with this upgrade? Or are there more 'horror' stories than anticipated suggesting a longer wait before the upgrade?

Hally

Re: Safe to Upgrade to Vista SP2 with avast's current version?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »

Hi Solemn
 :)

Don't Worry!
I updated to Vista SP2 as soon as Windows Update sent it to me  :D
That Was On...
1 x Vista Home Premium - Desktop
1 x Vista Home Premium - Laptop
Both Have...
Avast Home 4.8
&
Java 6 update 13

No Problem!  8)

Just take your time when installing SP2 .. Don't try to rush it .. And you'll be fine!  ;)

If it makes you feel any better...
SP2 was a sinch compared to SP1  ;D
Coz..
Vista SP1 Really Was  :o

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:52:15 PM by Hally »

Solemn

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »
Oh thank goodness! Some good news :)  Thanks for the bit of info. there I'll be sure to evaluate if everything's good to go for the update soon enough.  If anyone else has some feedback on their experiences, I'd love to hear them as well just to get a good opinion on the situation.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:07:18 PM »
 :)  Hi :

That was NOT "good news", but "pie in the sky" hope . Anyone seriously considering UPGRADING to Vista SP2 should read the Windows Secrets

article "Problems confirmed with Vista Service Pack 2" by Dennis O'Reilly that was released on JUne 4, 2009 and is available at

http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/090604 .

Solemn

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »
Ah good to hear the other side too of the situation.  While there are problems in general with SP2 my main concerns revolve around avast though it is informative to read up on the reported issues.  Thanks again for that bit of input (and of course more is welsome!)

Spiritsongs

Vista 64-bit & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware !?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »

I noticed in your "signature" that it says : Vista 64 & Malwarebytes
 Anti-Malware ; having any problems with these 2 on your computer together ?

Solemn

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:41:25 PM »
Interestingly enough I have noticed some sluggishness in the program's behaviour while it scans although there hasn't been any severe problem (aside from the occasional update fart where it chugs rather slowly bringing in an update).  I decided to opt for this one though as when I used SAS it was fine for the most part too but continuously spewed out incompatibility errors in the event viewer with certain dll's failing to start even with nothing in the startup for the program.  They haven't fixed this for at least over a year or so now so I decided to stop having it on my computer unless it was absolutely necessary.

Should I be particularly concerned running MBAM right now?

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:32:54 PM »

That was NOT "good news", but "pie in the sky" hope . Anyone seriously considering UPGRADING to Vista SP2 should read the Windows Secrets

article "Problems confirmed with Vista Service Pack 2" by Dennis O'Reilly that was released on JUne 4, 2009 and is available at

http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/090604 .
Windows Secrets is like the Canadian NDP Party. 

All talk and no substance.

They even recommend disabling Automatic Updates for fear that their off-beat hardware would quit working.

MBAM is not fully Vista 64 bit compatable yet but they are working on it.

I had no problem with Vista SP2 and shortly after that went to Windows 7.

Solemn

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:44:23 PM »
Ah I do remember hearing about MBAM not being entirely there yet but for the most part it hasn't really given me any particularly huge problems. I have heard others who run the same OS and use it that have similarly not had any huge issues.  Thanks for clearing some of the things up though (fun analogy btw from a fellow Canadian ;)). Looks like I'll be a bit wary with some of the updates to come but it seems like it'll be fine.

More input is always welcome! :)

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
I can't afford a Vista 64bit capable system and I am happy with my 32bit system.

Remember Conficker that infected 10 million systems that were XP that did not have the Critical Updates that Microsoft released to prevent this threat as they had disabled Automatic Updates due to fear of the updates breaking their system like the old AMD problem that Microsoft fixed in a hurry in the SP1 update.

junkman

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 07:00:44 PM »
Hi,  Not sure if this is the right place for this.  Anyone had any issues with Avast running on an HP Dual-Intel 64-bit machine? (or maybe just the machine itself?) 

I just bought this machine loaded only Adobe 8 and Avast.  It started locking up with "Explorer Not Responding" .  Doing simple stuff like moving icons, etc..
I took the machine back to Staples & exchanged for a new one.  The symptoms are now less frequent but still there AND the Works word processor is not quite right.
I've been extremely happy with Avast on my XP machine.
Any comments would be appreciated.  thanks

Mr.Agent

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 07:35:08 PM »
Java 6 update 13

Go Update Java there are currently a version 14 and i got SP2 too and its work very well dont worry guy :)