Author Topic: Problem with Right-Click menu  (Read 5033 times)

Borommakot

Problem with Right-Click menu
« on: August 15, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »
I've been using Avast for about a year and a half now.  I've even convinced my employer to buy copies for the whole office.  =)

Unfortunately, I've been having a problem with my Avast, recently, and am hoping that someone can help me.

I am using Avast 4.8 home (it tells me Build: Feb2009 4.8.1335) on a Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit machine.

I have noticed, recently, that the right-click scan is no longer working.  At first, I thought it was simply due to the fact that I was scanning small items, and it was finishing before I could see it.  So, I scanned a file that was about 4 gigs.  I still got nothing.  I watched my task manager when I scanned (several things, several times), and I see no activity.

I have uninstalled Avast, restarted, re-installed Avast (and restarted again), and it did not fix my problem.

Was there an update that changed how this worked?  Is there an error log or debug log I should check?  Can anyone be of any assistance?

cyberqtf

Re: Problem with Right-Click menu
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 05:58:53 AM »
I am using Avast 4.8 home (it tells me Build: Feb2009 4.8.1335) on a Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit machine.

I have noticed, recently, that the right-click scan is no longer working.  At first, I thought it was simply due to the fact that I was scanning small items, and it was finishing before I could see it.  So, I scanned a file that was about 4 gigs.  I still got nothing.  I watched my task manager when I scanned (several things, several times), and I see no activity.
Hi.  I'm a very new user of Avast, but I'm using the same version you are (though on WinXP Pro, not Vista), and the right-click scan is definitely working on my computer.  When I highlight a file and right-click, one of the options will be Scan [filename].  The little Avast logo will be to the left of this option, making it easier to find.  When I select this option, there's a little delay, perhaps because my computer is quite old and slow, but after a few seconds an Avast Quick Scan box appears.  After the scan is over, a second, smaller box also appears showing me details of the scan.

I have no idea why Avast isn't working this way for you, but I can assure you that the right-click scan option still works.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »
Hi Borommakot,

When you scan something, do you see ashQuick.exe in task manager? (the context menu scanner - This is what to look for)

If not,

1) What was your previous antivirus? How was it removed? - It may be necessary to use the relevant uninstaller

2) Is ashQuick.exe in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 ? What happens if you run it?

3) It may be necessary to try a repair of avast! (i.e. after removing AV remnants)

Start -->control panel -->Programs -->uninstall a program -->avast! Antivirus -->Click 'Uninstall/Change -->Scroll down and click repair

-Scott-

Borommakot

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »
Hi, Scott..

In answer to your questions..

1) What was your previous antivirus? How was it removed? - It may be necessary to use the relevant uninstaller

My previous antivirus, and the only antivirus I have used on this computer, is Avast Home.  I removed it through the control panel, in the same place you prompted me to do a repair.  I removed Avast, restarted, installed Avast, restarted.  Was having the problem, before then, and having the problem after.

2) Is ashQuick.exe in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 ? What happens if you run it?

ashQuick.exe is in the program file, yes.   When I run it, the scanner that I have been expecting to come up does come up, hesitates for a second (presumably, because I only ran it, and didn't tell it what to scan?), and closes.  Just like I have been looking for.

In answer to the first (not numbered) question that you asked..  When you scan something, do you see ashQuick.exe in task manager?  No.  It does not appear in the task manager.  Which might be the problem, the context menu item might just be broken?  I don't know..

Not a question, but..  3) It may be necessary to try a repair of avast!

I followed the instructions that you suggested, it told me "The product was successfully updated", but it did not fix the problem.  Even after a restart (had to try it) it didn't bring up the quick scanner.

Thank you for your assistance, and I hope this helps.

Editing to Add:  I've never gotten the "Final statistics for the last scan" screen (second picture) when I was done with a context menu scan.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:08:48 PM by Borommakot »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 07:24:26 PM »
So ashquick is there and works, but the context menu doesn't...

First off, the results:

Right click avast! tray icon--> Program settings --> Tick the box that says: 'Show results of Explorer Extension'

As for the context menu not working you could try a complete re-install of avast! (This solves quite a few problems):

For a re-installation of avast!:

VERY IMPORTANT - Do not uninstall avast! yet, follow the instructions

1. Download the most recent version of avast!
Make sure to download the Full setup file, NOT the 'universal installation file'
2. Download the avast! Un-install Utility
3. Disconnect from the net
4. Uninstall avast! through 'add/remove programs'
5. Reboot into safe mode and run the avast! un-install utility
6. Reboot
7. Install the the latest version of avast!
8. Re-connect to the net.

-Scott-

Borommakot

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
I followed your instructions to the letter.

It did not take care of the problem.

When I restarted, after safe mode, before reinstall, I checked the right-click menu..  and there was no Avast there, anymore (as there shouldn't have been), and the entire Alwil Software program file was gone, as well.

Maybe the registry key for the shell extension / context menu is messed up, or a dll is unregistered?  I wouldn't think so, after a reinstall..  (second reinstall..  I did one about 2 weeks ago, too).  Could it be something to do with Vista's UAC?

Any other suggestions?  Should I learn to live without it?  Should I switch to another free anti-virus?  Anything else to try?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »
Could it be something to do with Vista's UAC?
No.

Any other suggestions?
Did you change anything on the context menu (I think not) like tweaking it (Glary Utilities)?
Did you check for the results as Scott have said?

Please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
The best things in life are free.

Borommakot

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »
No, I have not changed or tweaked anything in the context menu.  Only things I have there other than the Windows defaults is Avast's scan and Open with Notepad++.

Yes, I did check the box to show the results, if that is what you were asking.

Here is the part of the log you requested.  I changed my user name to USERNAME and my computer name to COMPUTERNAME, but I didn't do any other editing of it.

If you need any more information from me, please let me know.  Thank you all for your continued assistance.

~Borommakot

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:04:10 AM »
Your log seems ok.
I've reread all the information you've gone here. I can't remember I had a similar problem in all these years on avast forums.
The worst thing is that the repair is not repairing the problem.

Hope Igor could give a look to this problem. I'll call him.

Borommakot

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 02:11:20 AM »
I don't know if it makes any kind of difference or not, but information is always good..

I have given my computer a full virus scan, and it found nothing.  I downloaded the eicar test file to make sure that it is working properly, and it detected it immediately.  So, I do not think that I have a virus, and I don't think that this problem is because of that.

So far as I know, I've never had a virus on this computer, and the only time I have had no anti virus was before my first install of Avast and between reinstalls of Avast.  So, again, I don't think it is that, at all.

Borommakot

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
Bumping this, since there haven't been any replies in over a week and it still isn't working..

If it goes off of the front page, again, I will just drop it and stop bothering you people.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »
Borommakot, I've tried to do my best...
Maybe some Alwil programmer has another idea. Sorry, I'm empty.