Author Topic: Just making sure really(Worried Internet noob)  (Read 2465 times)

Malfunctionman

Just making sure really(Worried Internet noob)
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:26:47 AM »
Okay here goes, I went browsing today, felt secure so i clicked a hyperlink, had a Trojan-Gen(other) trying to get into my system, i did the appropriate action which was, to abort the connection. My only concern is, Is my completely safe from that action or did the intruder get in my machine? Are there any immediate actions i should do to make sure my pc is safe? like a reboot or a quick internet connection reconnect? Share your insights please  :)

yawetage

Re: Just making sure really(Worried Internet noob)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:04:19 AM »
No, you are good. The Web Shield scanned and prevented the virus from downloading onto your computer. You could also alert the web site's admin if it seems like the site has been hacked (he or she may not be aware) and people without Avast! will not be infected.

Malfunctionman

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:10:17 AM »
Splendid! Thanks for the reply, Now i know to think twice before i click and links on the internet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:35:08 AM »
Most probably, you're clean. To be sure, I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.