Author Topic: Viruses within Java  (Read 4788 times)

MattyB

Viruses within Java
« on: June 02, 2004, 11:03:05 PM »
Every day I scan my Sun/Java folder and each time there are a number of trojans which I have to extract to the chest.

Todays batch included

JS ClassLoader-4
JS ByteVerify-Dummy(Trj)
VBS Malware

My question is there any way to prevent these viruses from infecting the sun/java/deployment/cache/javapi etc folder in the first place ? I'd rather bar these things from infecting folders by introducing another layer of scanning software - if possible.

I run Zone Alarm and Pop up Blocker Pro as well as Avast

Max M.Wachtel III

Re:Viruses within Java
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 01:46:57 AM »
Only found 2 references with google.One was another forum and the other was java.ClassLoader.class is legit java file along with SystemClassLoader.class.
Try running Trend's House Call and post back with results.
If you don't mind me asking,are you using any kind of file sharing programs? You should increase your securitiy settings if you haven't already.
Also a multi-layered approach is a good idea in my opinion.
Avast has blocking setting in the resident that you can lock down windows pretty well. But I don't think that is enough these days.You need more protection than a firewall and anti-virus program. I use and recomend the software listed below.
-max

whocares

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 03:19:43 AM »
Hi,

- apply all Windowsupdates
- Secure your IE, e.g. by disabling ActiveX & scripting, except for known, secure sites..
- spywareblaster by javacool is a tool to prevent lost of malware from  entering your PC

thoe above Board SEARCH might help you..

Technodrome

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 05:36:10 AM »

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 06:08:05 AM »
So if a user would update their computer they will be covered. ::)
so....like I try to tell people  update update update
I think windows should have on the "splash"screen-
"For The Safety Of Us All, Update Your Windows System"
-max

MattyB

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 09:04:43 AM »
Thanks very much.

I will look into those other programs. Although I had Ad Aware but Avast kept finding viruses within the Ad Aware folders so I deleted the program. Anybody else had that experience ?

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 02:42:02 AM »
Thanks technodrome -that link was great-
Another reason for mozilla.
Matty I think you need some instructions for outlook.
Read in plain text(tools/options/read).
Turn off preview pane (you can add it's button in customize) This way you can delete messages without looking at the message body
These problems you are having are due to malicous java applets you are getting in e-mail and or web sites. They are in HTML and if you turn it off  you'll be a little safer.Also check your security settings in outlook express.
If your really tired of it all- use a better(safer) browser and mail client. ;)
-max