Author Topic: Right-click scan option disappeared  (Read 5327 times)

Offline Rekrul

Right-click scan option disappeared
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »
I don't have Avast running all the time, I only use it as an on-demand scanner.

Previously, whenever I right-clicked on a file or files, I'd get the option to scan the selected files, then Avast would open and scan them. Now when I right-click on files, I no longer have the option to scan them.

I use Total Commander as my file manager and if I right-click on a directory name or in a directory, but not on a file, it gives me the option to scan that dir.

Although I never use it, I also tried in Windows Explorer and the option to scan files was missing there as well. If I right-click on the name of a directory I can scan it, but right-clicking inside a directory gives me no option to scan it.

How do I restore the right-click option to scan individual files?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Right-click scan option disappeared
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »
Do you have Glary Utilities? Did you change the context menu entries?
You can try repairing your installation. If it fails, uninstall/install again.
Why don't you use avast as resident? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Rekrul

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 03:44:04 PM »
Do you have Glary Utilities? Did you change the context menu entries?

No, I've never even heard of Glary Utilities. The only non-standard program I've used recently is TweakUI to repair the icon cache (some programs were showing the wrong icons for files), which I need to do occasionally.

You can try repairing your installation. If it fails, uninstall/install again.

The repair option worked, thanks. I probably should have thought of that myself, but I'm so used to programs only having a remove option in add/remove programs that I never think to look for a repair option.

Why don't you use avast as resident? ???

Because in the past, any time I've used any kind of full-time virus program, I've had problems. Either it ends up interferring with something or it slows things down. I know people who have virus scanners and "internet security" software running all the time and they have tons of problems.

I like to keep my system as "lean" as possible and as such, I don't have much running in the background. Basically all my system loads is my firewall software (Kerio freeware version), GetRight (download accelerator) and the Nvidia prefs for my graphics card. When a program adds itself to the startup, which is just about about everything these days, I immediately go in and disable it. If I didn't, I'd have about 50 icons in the system tray by now (like most people). I don't even have any icons on my Desktop other than "My Computer" and the one for Total Commander. I have shortcuts in the Start menu, I don't need them cluttering up the Desktop, which is almost always covered by a web browser or other program. So after installing a new program, I always delete the Desktop icon that it creates (usually without asking).

I use Firefox and I run Avast at least once a day, at which time it scans the startup and memory (never finds anything) and I use it to scan every executable file I download.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »
Because in the past, any time I've used any kind of full-time virus program, I've had problems. Either it ends up interferring with something or it slows things down. I know people who have virus scanners and "internet security" software running all the time and they have tons of problems.
We know more people that do not run them and have worse problems... ::)
I mean, your past experience shouldn't repeat with avast. We're here to help if we could.

If I didn't, I'd have about 50 icons in the system tray by now (like most people).
antivirus can't be in the same set of programs... By its nature, it's different from other startup programs.

I use Firefox and I run Avast at least once a day, at which time it scans the startup and memory (never finds anything) and I use it to scan every executable file I download.
I'm glad to see that you used do a safe browsing... but, remember, nowadays infections from files are not as common as from browsing and there isn't other way to prevent than using a good antivirus.

If I were you, I'll let avast running and experience protection without slowing down your system.
The best things in life are free.