Author Topic: Can't install on Acer Aspire One with Linpus Linus Lite O/S?!  (Read 6721 times)

ResourcesMEYER

Can't install on Acer Aspire One with Linpus Linus Lite O/S?!
« on: November 18, 2009, 03:35:25 PM »
I recently bought an ACER ASPIRE ONE ZG5/Blue model (Intel N270 CPU, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb HDD) for a client (home-user).
It has LINPUS LINUX LITE v.1.0.9.E O/S pre-loaded.
I downloaded avast! Linux Home Edition (RPM package), then I double-click on the .rpm installation file upon which a "Query" prompt pops-up with You are attempting to run "system-install-packages" which requires administrative priviledges, but more information is needed in order to do so.     Authenticating as "root" ...asking me for a password with an  OK and CANCEL button.

I dont know what to do... Please help?

PS. We've only updated the Acer Updater software and installed nothing else!

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Can't install on Acer Aspire One with Linpus Linus Lite O/S?!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:53:49 PM »
I recently bought an ACER ASPIRE ONE ZG5/Blue model (Intel N270 CPU, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb HDD) for a client (home-user).
It has LINPUS LINUX LITE v.1.0.9.E O/S pre-loaded.
I downloaded avast! Linux Home Edition (RPM package), then I double-click on the .rpm installation file upon which a "Query" prompt pops-up with You are attempting to run "system-install-packages" which requires administrative priviledges, but more information is needed in order to do so.     Authenticating as "root" ...asking me for a password with an  OK and CANCEL button.

I dont know what to do... Please help?

PS. We've only updated the Acer Updater software and installed nothing else!
Hallo,
the package is installed system-wide, but can work in a per-user manner. If you want user-tied installation only, use the tar.gz installer, and place the stuff in your home-directory sub-folders.

So yes, system wide installation needs root's password.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)