Author Topic: Update-is now Trojan-gen- as of Fri nite. Help  (Read 13813 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Update-is now Trojan-gen- as of Fri nite. Help
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 01:31:05 AM »
Thanks, mkis.

Treesa, well done for working out how to locate/post the logs.
The one I'd really like to see is the one resulting from this scan where you say 1 tracking cookie and 70 infected files were found. (Should be on about that date - around the 19th.)

The files you have attached show no problems at all, as you probably surmised yourself, and I'd cautiously suggest things are looking good.

Files that are in any quarantine stay there. Imprisoned. Alone, bereft of light and comfort, and unable to escape unless the warden (you) releases them. They can stay there indefinitely, although the only reason you'd want to keep them is i case one (or more) of them is a false positive, and later scans clean, and you need to restore it.
The way to know that is to re-scan them periodically from within the chest. A look at the file name and original location will often gove a good idea about what the file was for, and what program used it, if you are concerned it may be a F.P..
(Or you could post the file name/path, detection name, and ask here  ;))
There are other tricks, too, but that's enough for now.

As mkis said, default Avast settings are fine. Setting the provider to high results in it scanning every file, instead of just executable files. (So it will scan dormant files, files that can't do anything on their own.) This slows things down, sometimes quite a bit.

Same when you do a full scan. Just use the standard settings, don't worry about scanning inside archives. Archives can't run by themselves. Nothing wrong with thorough scan/inside archives, it will just take forever. I'd just do that type of scan about once a year. If that. And on first installation of Avast, on a computer that hasn't previously used it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Therese Kean

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
Tarq
Thought I had, hope these are correct ones have also added todays results (7 files found and quarantened. Think I might have repeated a file sorry if I have.

I had a thought (have them sometimes) :)
I had another go finding the C/Documents and Settings/User/Local Settings/Temp /WER354c.d
the way I found Log files and found it, and deleted it to recycle bin, nothing untoward happened except it is now in recycle bin and has 496KB's and the files in it are "SUPERantispyware.exe.mdmp,appcompat.txt,...
don't know if you wanted to know rest but there you are. T

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »
Hi Treesa.
You're all good.
Cookies are a minor and third party privacy issue, they consist of harmless text files that a site may use to track some browsing habits (sometimes). They will not reveal any other information to anyone, such as what files you have stored on your hard drive. And as you know, they can be useful, for site preferences etc.

All three logs contain only cookies. No other nasties, so no worries there.

The deleted temp file contains a SAS minidump, which, unless you are technically minded and want it analysed, can quite happily stay in the recycle bin until deleted. Just to be sure it's not needed, open SAS, update it, commence (but don't bother completing) a scan, and if all works Ok, it's definitely safe to leave that file deleted. I reckon it was possibly detected in the first place, because (1) the sensitivity of Avast scanner may have been set to high, (2) the temp file probably contained information including malware signatures.

Just a disk clean up, defrag, you're all good.

Any other questions feel free to ask away. And if not Merry Christmas. ;D
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Therese Kean

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 03:49:52 AM »
Tarq.
I did a derag and was told I had no need to do one after analizing.
I did one about mth ago, so am assuming all is well.

Will have a look at SAS as you advised and things should be ok and Merry Christmas to you to from us we are grateful for this forum and your advise thanks again. T
 :) Nice to be smiling again