Author Topic: New update Installed.... some files CANNOT be restored!!  (Read 2872 times)

bkballa

New update Installed.... some files CANNOT be restored!!
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »
Hello all,

My Avast also showed a bunch of trojan viruses. I had moved all of them to the vault (thank god I did not delete them.. as I usually do). I checked the forums. Having found many others having some problem I waited for new update. After the update I restored all the files in the vault. However 2 files could not be restored.

Since the 2 files appears to be system files. Now I am afraid to turn off my laptop. Here are the files and error message during restore operation.

FileID: 0000000001  Program cannot copy the following file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll (Original filename: kernel32.dll )
--->Description: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
FileID: 0000000003  Program cannot copy the following file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsock32.dll (Original filename: wsock32.dll )
--->Description: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Please advise. Thanks.

bkb

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: New update Installed.... some files CANNOT be restored!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »
That file is not in the "Infected files" cathegory, right?
I.e. it was there from the beginning, it should not be restored.

bkballa

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
Thanks i feel much better now.

Yes those files were in "Systems Files" category. there were 3 files. One of them winsock.dll (c:\Windows\system32\) was restored. Does that mean I should scan again and move that file to vault?

bkb

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
Don't worry (nor even look at ) files in the "system" area of the chest. Nor worry about trying to move it back to the chest. (You wern't able to restore it, right?)
Only rescan/restore from the "infected" area.

The system area is where copies of some system files are stored in case the ones in use by Windows are infected. Thus a repair can be made.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.