Author Topic: win32 Malware-gen trojan/worm!!!!! IT WILL NOT GO AWAY!!!! HELP!!!  (Read 3857 times)

ltcoldilleredson

I am a new PC user, and I got avast as it was recommended from a family member. Avast has taken care of several issues in the past, BUT I have come across a win32 Malware-gen Trojan/worm that I can't get rid of!!!
1) I kicked all of the settings at max on avast, spybot, and anti malware devices.
2) I did thorough multiple scans with spybot search and destroy, malware bytes, and avast, with a thorough CClean in between each scan. What is really messed up is that the path I see on the avast window when the alert is shown is from a civ 4 video game that I don't even have on my computer any more.
3) Then on the final approach to get rid of this apparently non removable Trojan/worm, I do another thorough scan with avast.
4) When avast alerts me of the problem, avast recommends for the Trojan/worm to be moved to the chest.
5) I click move to chest, but when the scan is complete the Trojan/worm is not in the chest.
6) I have tried all other options when avast alerts me of this Trojan/worm.
7) When I try to delete it, there is an error in deletion.
8) when I try to correct the problem there is an error in correction.

I have avast 4.8 home edition. The following is a copy/paste of the problem that I can't get rid of.

Malware name: Win32:Malware-gen
Malware type: Virus/Worm
VPS version: 091130-1, 11/30/2009

I am soooooo out of ideas other than a reformat, although I am a noob, can someone please help??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: win32 Malware-gen trojan/worm!!!!! IT WILL NOT GO AWAY!!!! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:16:03 AM »
Hi,
can you find the file from avast! dialog and pack to password protected archive to prevent scaning (use password "infected" without quotes) and send to virus@avast.com to analyze. To create password ptotected archive you can use free 7-zip.

Thank you,
Milos

frostbytez

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »
I've seen this type of behavior HUNDREDS of times,

It's very hard to get rid of these idiotic viruses.

They put a key in the registry or create random files like 1.exe or 2.exe and these executables make the virus files which is caught by Avast!

Post additional information about the virus IF you can, and someone may be able to help you.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
Can you please post the full original file and path of the last detection, please?
When running MalwareBytes, were any detections made?

It is quite possible that remnants from the video game are still present on the computer.
Depending on the path, that will give a clue.
If not, you could be dealing with a rootkit.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.