Author Topic: Question about a router  (Read 2984 times)

DarkLegend

Question about a router
« on: November 28, 2009, 03:09:15 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible for a computer hooked into the same router to be able to infect each other. For example, If my PC is being used on a VM for malware testing (Which I am not doing) and it is connected to my router, Is it possible for that PC to infect one of my family members PC's (That aren't protected. atleast One of them isn't)that are hooked into the router? If so, Is there anything I can do on that infected (before it gets infected) from connecting to the others (IF indeed i can infect others connected to my WIRED router),or something I can do on theirs?

The reason I am asking is because I was thinking of venturing into the world of testing and analyzing malware and such and a different laptop that nobody uses (of course I will wipe it first to get all of the business info that was on there off.) in a VM. But I want to take all of the security precautions first and not infect all of my family member's PC's. I am on a wired connection using a motorola modem with a linksys router(8 port switch) (v3.1) in between the modem and our PC's.

So with this being said, Is there some security precautions I should take? And Also What VM should I use?

Thanks!

timcan

Re: Question about a router
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »
Hi, from reading this article it's possible.  :)  http://www.rising-global.com/Published/InformationCenter/SecurityArticles/2007-07-18/20070718183032.htm

JMO, if I were going to infect a computer on purpose I'd be sure to disable file sharing on the test computer first.
I havn't had much luck with a vm and getting a oem operating sys to run in it. Personally I'd prefer a clean image to restore after testing.
Hope this helps and maybe you'll get other comments,opinions.

DarkLegend

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:39:37 PM »
Hmm... Very interesting. Thank's for that! I think it's a good idea I'm taking every precaution I can first before just going ahead and doing it :P. Such as asking questions like these :D.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »
Disable Administrative Shares  :) :) :)

A hidden share is identified by a dollar sign ($) at the end of the share name. Hidden shares are not listed when you look through the shares on a computer or use the net view command.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »
it is of course dangerous for other PCs on your network if filesharing is enabled in your VM, otherwise not.

DarkLegend

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:19:10 AM »
Disable Administrative Shares  :) :) :)

A hidden share is identified by a dollar sign ($) at the end of the share name. Hidden shares are not listed when you look through the shares on a computer or use the net view command.

How might I do that? Is it seperate from disabling sharing? The PC is question is an XP and I haven't used xp in a LONG time lol.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »

DarkLegend

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:49:05 AM »
Okay. Thank you :D