Author Topic: The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!  (Read 5688 times)

Haardy5.0

The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:04:56 AM »
Sorry I didn't know where to post this lol - i'm better with car's computers -.-
I usually search the net for a quick solution, usually if there is something wrong I search for a specific file, cross my fingers and hope when i delete it nothing bad happens. But not going to tempt it this time lol :)

I use Windows XP Home Edition for starters and we have been having trouble with our avast! version 4.8 Home Edition - Free Antivirus now since the 11th of this month. It started as just the Protection being turned off, (As in the icon with the blocked symbol), and then the computer randomly started restarting itself, to avast being a downright 'bastard' if i can say so. The local technicians down at ACS recommended we use Avast, since Norton sucked.

As of last night, it simply will not open, updates have stalled at 5% saying there is an error, and after reading a topic regarding this from 2004 regarding changing the startup from manual to auto, they were all on automatic - except for the mail and scanner which are both stuck on manual (access denied) though all four things are started and running. It won't let me (when i right click on the icon) select On-Access Protection Control and when i opened the scan, i chose the E: drive, and folders, and clicked scan, but then it flickers for a millisecond and fails to do anything.

Even tried Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs > Change/Remove which does exactly the same thing
I installed Spybot as it has always been very useful before where other antiviruses have failed - but i just want protection back on! :)

Please help - Otherwise it's going to cost us to get it fixed for a third time (doesn't help when I am away with the army and i come back to find my younger brother and sister and grandparents have neglected looking after it)

Kind regards :)
H

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 01:31:06 AM »
This is commonly associated with having another AV installed or remnants of the old one and Norton is a pig to get rid of.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Haardy5.0

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:38:17 AM »
I'll try, but we had AVG after norton, and the techs completely rebuilt our computer, and wiped everything from it and put avast on there for us - so it shouldn't be there right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:44:25 AM »
Whilst that may be right, it won't hurt to confirm.

Some more for you then:
- AVG8.x Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 03:55:47 AM »
I'll try, but we had AVG after norton, and the techs completely rebuilt our computer, and wiped everything from it and put avast on there for us - so it shouldn't be there right?
Kind of depends what the techs actually did. If it was a restore using the manufacturers recovery, to make it basically as-new, it could quite likely have the pre-existing trial of Norton still on it.
Definitely worth checking.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Haardy5.0

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:55:23 AM »
No it was a complete rebuild - everything went when they wiped it, its basically a completely new computer. i've tried both SymNRT and the AVG8.x Remover but to no avail :(

Offline envd

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 08:02:51 AM »
Our family pc recently started having the same avast! error. Reinstalling avast! made no difference. The pc is running xp home and has a history of disk problems too. Can this be connected?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »
It would be connected if the situation is the same, e.g. the same error message, etc. and if you had previously had another AV installed. In which case you need to answer this question:

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »
No it was a complete rebuild - everything went when they wiped it, its basically a completely new computer. i've tried both SymNRT and the AVG8.x Remover but to no avail :(

First try this:
- Program Settings, Troubleshooting, 'Delay loading of avast! services after other system services.' You will obviously need to reboot after making the change.

If that doesn't work try a clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Offline envd

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »
The pc was formatted a few months ago, avast! is the only AV ever to be installed on it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »
Then try the suggestions in my last post in the order given.