Author Topic: Win32: Trojan  (Read 4772 times)

Justinian

Win32: Trojan
« on: June 15, 2004, 06:28:34 PM »
After I DL the latest Avast! detections yesterday, I scheduled a boot-time scan -- the scan found 1 new trojan (I believe it identified it as win32: Trojan, svchost, something). He's my question/problem: I chose to "delete all" but before the program completed scanning/deleting I became concerned it was deleting more than just the trojan, so I stopped it (pressed Esc).

When the computer was fully booted, I ran a thorough scan from the desktop icon -- it found 0 infected files. So, I scheduled another boot-time scan and restarted. It didn't find anything, either. Did Avast! maybe zap the trojan before I pressed Esc and that's why it can't find it now? I have heard one gets the best results running a scan in "safe mode" but I don't know how to do that. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

caddiva

Re:Win32: Trojan
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 04:56:38 AM »
 :)Hello Justinian!  I can answer your question on Safe Mode... When you are rebooting your system and it is starting up, hit your F-8 button ( It will beep- do not worry) sometimes you need to hold it down a few moments.  

This should take you to a BLACK SCREEN.  The screen will have 3 #ers, pick option 3 (this is SAFE MODE) ..

You will enter your system safely,and the icons will look large , the dithering of the colors will look out of wack , like a bad picture.  This is okay...

Continue running the scan , then reboot, go to Safe Mode screen (black screen) and THEN select option#1(NORMAL)...

Then you will be right back to where you were , only safely scanning .....

Hmmmmm ,, I know some things.. Props 2 me..  But you did give me the idea of running it in safe mode...  

Tell me....Is it really better to do it that way?

Ciao 4 Now!

Caddiva (new owner of Avast - 1 day)  ;)

Justinian

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:24:45 PM »
Thanks, Caddiva. I hope one of the experts can answer my other question. Regarding safe mode, I don' t know if it is better or not, that's just what I have heard.

whocares

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 11:57:23 PM »
I chose to "delete all" but before the program completed scanning/deleting I became concerned it was deleting more than just the trojan, so I stopped it (pressed Esc).

Did Avast! maybe zap the trojan before I pressed Esc and that's why it can't find it now?

Hi,

I'D say avast deletes any found trojan immediately after finding it (when you once click "delete all"). It doesn't wait till the end of the scan - or if you click ESC sometime later..
so of course the trojan will be gone on a second scan

SafeMode:

reboot PC and hold or press repeatedly the F8 key until a menu appears..
then select SafeMode
The graphics/icons will apear a bit simpler, some icons be moved, that's normal..

Please also use the above SEARCH

;)

Justinian

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 01:26:58 AM »
Thanks, Who.  :) Take care. J